Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   My Upside-Down Catfish lost its color! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/my-upside-down-catfish-lost-its-17605/)

BORGUSX 09-02-2008 01:53 PM

My Upside-Down Catfish lost its color!

Well, I have 3 catfish, but it seem like it lost its color because when I put them under a light source, it is very apparent that they lost their skin pigmentation! I have sinking shrimp pellets and algae wafers for them and most of the time, but I do have 3 loaches, though!

Little-Fizz 09-02-2008 02:09 PM

what size is your tank and whats your water parameters?

BORGUSX 09-02-2008 04:07 PM

I know that my tank is around 35 gallons and the temperature is about 72 degrees F! For the other parameters, I don't know what reading should I look for? In addition, what test kit should I buy?

Little-Fizz 09-02-2008 04:24 PM

Do you not have a heater? Temp should be around 78.

I recommend API liquid master test kit, tests for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

BORGUSX 09-02-2008 06:39 PM

I have only one heater, but should I get more one, then? Well, the heater is on the right side of the tank, but the temp. reader is on the left side and it is telling me that it is 72.8 degrees!

BTW, my heater is on 24/7! I don't know if I should turn the thermostat up from 75 degrees or not! It's because if I turn it up to 80 degrees, then my parent would lower it!

Little-Fizz 09-02-2008 07:55 PM

:? Do you not have the heater set to the right temp? How many watts is it?

It sounds like your fish maybe loosing its colour due to ammonia poisoning (We won't know until you pick up a tester) but just to be safe you should do a 20% water change.

How long has your tank been set up and how often do you do water changes?

BORGUSX 09-02-2008 08:45 PM

Well, the water got fully replaced yesterday! I have to go check the how much is the watts, but the heater only say lower or higher when it comes to turning the heater up or down!

The tank was set up for at least a year! Note that every single time, I get my water check at Petsmart, the water is in good condition!

Well, I didn't find where is the Watt Rating is listed on my Top Fin heater! Yes, I just found out that Top Fin is a brand that many people isn't proud of!

Should I get my water tested at Petsmart tomorrow, then?

Little-Fizz 09-02-2008 09:29 PM

Yes, you should get your water tested, you may want to invest in a liquid test kit too.

When you clean tanks you should really only doing like 25% water change every week. Doing a full water change kills to much beneficial bacteria in your tank!

Hahaha ohhh no! Sounds like a heater I just got with my 20 gal I bought off a local ads site. The only thing you can do it play around with it. And slowly move it higher and keep a close eye on the temperature. It probably took me a full day to get it to the temp I wanted.

I don't really mind top fin I guess. I haven't owned to many products, I mean the filter does the job, it would just be nice if it was as quiet as advertised. :roll:

BORGUSX 09-02-2008 09:53 PM

Oh, I thought that you have to do a once a month full water change and 10%-15% weekly water change!

What heater do you recommend me buying?

Little-Fizz 09-03-2008 08:42 AM

Nope, 20-25% weekly water changes is perfect, there should be no need to ever do a 100% water change. That could be part of the reason why your catfish is loosing his colour. 100% water changes is a pretty big stress on your fish.

Well, I like marineland, they always make good products. Your probably looking for a 50-75 watt heater. I'm leaning more towards 75 watts because I have a 50 on my 28 gallon. But when you go to buy the heater just read the box. It will say "suitable for up to 40 gallons" ect. They are not to expensive either, like 20-25 bucks.