Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Easiest Fish to breed (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/easiest-fish-breed-17569/)

Jman26 09-01-2008 11:34 AM

Easiest Fish to breed

I was just wondering what fish are the easiest to breed and the ones which are really fun to watch. Obviously all Livebearers are easy. (I just started breeding platies) I've heard Zebra Danios are easy, even thought my eggs never hatched :( What other kinds of fish is easy? [/u]

frogman6 09-01-2008 04:40 PM

corys are usually pretty easy

okiemavis 09-01-2008 06:50 PM

It *really* depends on the cory. Aeneas are known to be easy to breed. Others, such as the schwartzi have never been bred in captivity.

I'd say that zebra danios are quite up there in the easy to breed category. So are convict cichlids, kribs, certain Tanganyikan shellies...

benjaminkang 09-01-2008 09:04 PM

Here's a few of my successful experiences.

1. Guppy - Besides the usual water condition check, these guys breed like there's no tomorrow, and each batch produces about 60-100 babies in a span of 3~4 months, so i'd suggest you get a nursery tank
- I breed mine in a huge flower pot :D with lotus on it

2. Betta's - depending on your water temperature, these guys are easy as well, just be prepared before the babies starts to swim freely. Infusorias should be prepared at the moment the eggs are released
- breed these in a 3foot(l) x2foot(w) x 2foot(h) tank

3. Cichlids - Keep in pairs, if its a communal tank, chances are the eggs will be eaten unless sufficient hiding spots are provided.The parents guard the eggs but they might slack a little sometimes
- 6foot(l)x 4foot(w) x4foot(h) tank

4. Gourami - Same as betta, only difference is gourami eggs floats naturally (less stress for the daddy fish)

5. Mollies are just as easy as platies.
(I just dumped them in a communal tank and it all went naturally)

I did all this at the room temperature of 27-29Celcius(i live in malaysia, tropical weather, so i don't use heaters on my tank)

Pm me if u want/need any tips on breeding any of those guys above.

iamntbatman 09-02-2008 01:05 PM

Breeding bettas is a difficult proposition, so I definitely wouldn't include them in a list of easy fish to breed. The parents often don't get along, the fry can be moderately difficult to feed (they need very tiny live foods), and you need separate containers for all of the male fry so they don't kill each other.

Cichlids are an enormously diverse group of fish, so there's really no simple way to describe how to successfully breed them. Some form bonded pairs, others need harem-style setups, some are excellent parents, some will eat their fry...etc etc.

Livebearers, convicts, kribensis, and many killifish are very easy to breed.

okiemavis 09-02-2008 04:37 PM

I agree with batman- cichlids vary incredibly. Some are easy, some have never been bred in captivity.

The problem with bettas is that they will often only breed when they are quite young, and most pet store bettas are too old to be viable.

A similar issue exists with most gourami- pet stores (at least in the US) generally only carry males, which makes getting a pair breeding quite difficult.

bhone20 09-04-2008 03:21 PM

Convicts!!!!! drop in a male,female, two hiding spots,and a large clay pot and they WILL breed.100%. They are one of the BEST parents in the fish world.