Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Platie in trouble. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/platie-trouble-17550/)

Little-Fizz 08-31-2008 09:59 PM

Platie in trouble.

Ok, so I just got these three really cute platies and I noticed just as we were leaving that one had a pretty big wound on its tail... I didn't want to abandon it just because its sick. So I bought melafix, stress coat, and cycle because the only tank I can put them in for QT Is my cycling 20 gallon. I didn't think it had come so far but I just tested the water and nitrites are in between 0.25 and 0.50, its hard to tell. Ammonia... Appears to be 0? and nitrates are 5.0-10. So i'm going to do a water change and add the stress coat, then the cycle? I've never used cycle so is this a good time to use it?

Little-Fizz 08-31-2008 11:23 PM

Update, I've done the water changes, and now I have 0-.25ppm ammonia, 0-.25ppm nitrites, and 5.0ppm nitrates. So I hope I can save these little guys. I managed to get a picture of the wounded one. She seems like its not causing to much distress. Looks painful though.I've added the stress coat then the cycle, and melafix. My only question is, I'm supposed to dose melafix every day for wounds but I want to be doing small water changes everyday to keep toxins down. So should I ditch the small water changes or not? Maybe just very little ones every other day? And do I add cycled everyday? I've never used it before. Here are some pictures of the wounded fish.

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/2862_sore_1.jpg
http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/2862_sore2_1.jpg

Little-Fizz 09-01-2008 08:37 AM

Well I woke up this morning and she was stuck to the filter. So I guess this post doesn't matter anymore.

KarlS 09-01-2008 09:16 AM

Sorry about your fish. :(

I just would like to add that people like yourself are one of the reasons why I have faith in humanity. To think everything you did to try and save the little guy. I hope all turns out well with the other two. :)

Little-Fizz 09-01-2008 09:39 AM

Thank you! Yeah well my mom was getting mad at me like "go ask the girl to change your fish!" And I just couldn't do it, I figured she would die anyways but I wanted to give her a fighting chance rather then just leave her to die in her over stocked tank :roll:

The other two appear to be fine, and I think the cycle has worked. My water parameters today are 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, and 5.0ppm nitrates. This is a good sign, I think I'll return my dead fish tomorrow (Sometimes I hate holidays) And I'm thinking about picking up some tetras to help this tank cycle a little more too. My ultimate goal is blue rams, but my tanks much to young for them. Any suggestion for tetras? I have serpaes in my other tank, and I love them! I was thinking like black phantom tetras or something? Any suggestions welcome :D

KarlS 09-01-2008 11:48 AM

Actually I have serpaes in my tank and I love them. They are a great tetra, but alot of people would say tht they can be fin nippers. I however haven't come across this problem personaly. I also have congo tetras, they are pretty cool, and get to be a nice size. I've never had dealings with phantoms but have seen them around, they look real nice.

But If I were to choose I'd pick the congos..

Tyyrlym 09-02-2008 07:14 AM

This is not a scientific observation in the least but I plan on having serpaes myself and I've been doing a lot of reading. I've noticed a definite trend in relation to the fin nipping thing with serpaes. The people who complain about the being awful little fish who tear up everything in the tank usually have 3 to 4. The people who say they're just fine usually have 6+. Unlike most tetras who'll run and hide if they don't have a big enough shoal serpaes look to be little type A personalities and go nuts on their tank mates to prove they're big and bad.

Little-Fizz 09-02-2008 07:29 AM

I bought 5 originally. But the 5th was like... Almost deformed and really skinny. So that one died off and I only have 4 now. I don't see any fin nipping :? Only between themselves. But I agree with your statement. Maybe mine are just softies.

Little-Fizz 09-02-2008 09:20 AM

Ok, lol these platies are making me nervous.

Claudio, the male, is doing fine, very nicely coloured, he is the reason why I bought these guys. I can't get a good picture. I've been trying all morning, and probably taken 100 pictures and none of them are worth posting :oops:

But the female, Anna, is flicking :? I don't see any signs of ich. But she doesn't look to good. You know... When you see your fish and you just know somethings wrong? I'm having one of those moments.

My water parameters are surprisingly perfect. Nitrite 0ppm, ammonia 0ppm, and nitrate 5.0ppm. They have eaten their breakfast, Anna just doesn't seem herself, lol not that I would know because this is my second day owning her. But Claudio has way more energy and looks happier.

I suppose this is just an update, but could anyone tell me if I should be adding more cycle? I just added it once, and since my params are all good then I don't see why I would waste more bacteria when I only have two little fish in there feeding the tank anyways. Opinions? Thanks :D

Tyyrlym 09-02-2008 09:49 AM

If you've got no excess ammonia or nitrites then there's no reason to add any. There's a good chance she's just stressed from the move. Some of my fish have taken a week or so to get back to "normal".