Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   CAE and other fish... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/cae-other-fish-17534/)

zerlinafish 08-31-2008 03:32 PM

CAE and other fish...

I bought a chinese algae eater from my lfs this past friday to help clean up some algae in my 10g tank.

In the tank, I also have 2 female/1 male guppies and 3 neon tetras in the tank with it. The CAE has been acting strangely...zipping around the tank in circles and occasionally suckering up on the aquarium walls. This is during the day too. I have a 2 hiding caves for him, and this morning he used one...but now he is out and going nutty. I am becoming attached to the other fish, and want them to stay safe...HELP!

Z-fish

iamntbatman 09-02-2008 02:07 PM

I would definitely return it. Chinese algae eaters can get pretty big (6" or so) and once they get a bit bigger, two things happen:

1) They discover fish food tastes a lot better than algae, so they stop eating your algae.

2) They turn incredibly mean. They will kill and eat other fish.

What are you planning on stocking the tank with in the long run? There are other options for algae eaters/clean-up crew type animals that would be better choices, but you might be limited by the other fish that will be in the tank.

zerlinafish 09-02-2008 09:03 PM

thanks for the reply!

so I am thinking this:

This is a 10 gallon tank:

I have 2 female guppies, one male and 3 neons in the tank now.

I want to add 3 more neons and either three Platys or three zebra danios. Would an Oto be better?

the CAE seems to be ok for now...I kind of like him...How bad could it get? Do they ALL get mean and huge? I gave him an algae tablet on Sunday and again today, and he seems to be happier...plus it was entertaining to watch the female guppies gnaw on it too...they really are pigs, aren't they? :-P He ate too, and he seems to mind his own business now...just hiding in one of 2 caves I have.

If the CAE will indeed kill the others, I have to call my lfs to see if I can take him back in on Thursday...I am pretty sure I can.

Flashygrrl 09-03-2008 04:44 AM

Danios don't do as well in 10 gallons because they're all crazy and need more swimming space. I wouldn't put them in any less than a 20 gallon.

Yes, get rid of the CAE. He may look and act innocent now but it won't last.

You know you're going to have massive amounts of fry being produced with the guppies, right? Are you planning on letting the other fish eat them?

I would just add three more neons and an oto and leave it. Otherwise your stocking will be over capacity.

zerlinafish 09-03-2008 09:49 AM

Thanks for the reply!

It was to chill out the male that I got the ladies...He was aggressive, and now he is as docile as a little kitten...what guppy lovin' will do. :lol: Yes, I know that there are going to be like millions of little fishies...letting nature take care of it, and bringing the lil survivors to my lfs. I really like our little CAE (we named him Frank), but understand that for the safety of our other fish, we should bring him back. I am going to call my lfs today.

iamntbatman 09-03-2008 07:44 PM

I think you've got a few options when it comes to "cleaner" type creatures. If you had the three guppies, six neons, and three platies, you'd pretty much be fully stocked so there wouldn't really be much you could add other than maybe a couple of ghost shrimp.

If you skipped out on the platies, you could probably get away with a smaller plecostomus species. A single Clown pleco or bristlenose pleco could be possible. You'd definitely need to make sure you have driftwood in the tank, though, especially for the clown pleco, as they need to gnaw on it. They produce quite a bit of waste, though, so you'd have to really stay on top of your water changes. Whatever you do, just make sure you don't get a common plecostomus, as these guys reach 18" in length and need a huge tank.

You could also try a snail. Mystery snails make an interesting addition to your tank. They produce a decent amount of waste but not as much as even those smaller plecos.

Otos can be tough to keep. They really prefer to be in groups, which would push you well into "overstocked" territory, plus they can just be delicate. Some won't really accept prepared foods (like the algae wafers) and will really only eat algae growing in your tank, so they're prone to starvation.