Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   what silicon i should use? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/what-silicon-i-should-use-17443/)

MRQuad 08-29-2008 12:36 AM

what silicon i should use?

what is the best silicon sealed that you guys can recommend? and an aquarium safe? i want to build panels for my sump.. but i can't think of any silicon..

thanks in advance...

iamntbatman 08-29-2008 12:44 AM

You're always safe with sealant actually made for aquariums. Aside from that, you can use any 100% pure silicone sealant. G&E Window & Door Clear Silicone I sealant works. Don't use the Silicone II version, as that has mold inhibitors and other nasty stuff that might harm your critters.

MRQuad 08-29-2008 01:27 AM

thank you sir..

doctorb 08-30-2008 10:11 AM

SO I'm not sure if this will do or if I should start a thread but here's my question along silicone lines:

I have a 75 gallon that's probably 15 years old. What's happening is that there's algae growing under the silicone in the corners. There's never algae in the tank between me using a sponge and the pleco, but it's in the corners, just beginning to separate the sealant from the glass. I'm afraid that it will cause a leak eventually.

Anyone ever experience this? I'm not sure what to do about it. I could cut a line because it hasn't made the corner yet and then add more silicone, but silicone won't stick to itself so I'm not sure if that'll help. I don't really trust myself to rebuild the whole tank, but I'm not sure I want to spend whatever a 75 gallon costs.

Suggestions?

Peppee 09-09-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorb
SO I'm not sure if this will do or if I should start a thread but here's my question along silicone lines:

I have a 75 gallon that's probably 15 years old. What's happening is that there's algae growing under the silicone in the corners. There's never algae in the tank between me using a sponge and the pleco, but it's in the corners, just beginning to separate the sealant from the glass. I'm afraid that it will cause a leak eventually.

Anyone ever experience this? I'm not sure what to do about it. I could cut a line because it hasn't made the corner yet and then add more silicone, but silicone won't stick to itself so I'm not sure if that'll help. I don't really trust myself to rebuild the whole tank, but I'm not sure I want to spend whatever a 75 gallon costs.

Suggestions?

That's something to start a new thread about. Are you sure it's not mold?

Deku 09-09-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppee
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorb

Suggestions?

That's something to start a new thread about. Are you sure it's not mold?

i agree and i also agree that its mostlikely mold

onefish2fish 09-09-2008 10:43 PM

well if you do decide to re-silicone the tank they make a black aquarium safe silicone, i just dont know if i would re-silicone a tank because of chances of leaks or worse, collapse.