Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   new to the hobby again (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/new-hobby-again-174233/)

gman670 05-10-2013 03:45 AM

new to the hobby again

hello everyone. Like the title says I am getting back into aquariums again after a long time away. Looking forward to get some advice and talking about the hobby. Thanks gman:-)

fish monger 05-10-2013 06:30 AM

Welcome ! We have some friends who live close to Bellville. Very nice town. What type of setup are you interested in starting ?

gman670 05-10-2013 01:21 PM

new to the hobby again

i currently have a 20 gallon tank up and running fish are healthy and happy. my son gave it to me for christmas. that's what got me started again. i have a 90 gallon tank that i am going to get started. i have 2 gold gouramis 2 opiline gouramis 1 cory cat 1 rapheal cat and 1 pleco in the 20. i will be moving all the fish to the 90 and restocking the 20 with smaller fish. any ideas about what other fish i can put in the 90. any suggjustions would be helpful. thanks

fish monger 05-10-2013 01:44 PM

Maybe keep the cory in the 20 and get him 4 or 5 buddies of his same type. If you want the 20 to be a nice peaceful tank, I'd go with some cherry barbs, neons, glow light tetras, etc, depending on what your water hardness and PH are.

The 90 is open to all kinds of possibilities. Again, your water pretty much dictates what will do well. What sort of bigger fish do you like ? What kind of pleco do you have ? Do you know what your water hardness and PH are ? Don't mean to be a pita.

eaturbyfill 05-10-2013 03:11 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! :D

gman670 05-11-2013 09:11 AM

i'm not sure what kind of fish I want for the 90. I'm thinking fish in the 4-6 inch range. the pleco is a common pleco. don't know the water parameters yet the tank is empty. setting up this weekend. the water coming out of the tap is 6.8 ph .we have a well so theres no chlorine or other chemicals in the water. for the 20 I was thinking along the same lines . I don't mind the questions.it makes me think and rememberthose things i knew when i had fish years ago. your input is welcome.8-)

gman670 05-11-2013 09:13 AM

thank you for the welcome

fish monger 05-11-2013 12:44 PM

With that PH, you might assume that your water is on the soft side; however, my PH is 8.6 out of the tap and the water is just barely in the hard range. Since you don't use a municipal water company, testing the water yourself or having your local fish store test it for general hardness and carbon hardness are your only options. Since these are things that are pretty much constant, having the store test it for you could save you a little money. Naturally, a good test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and PH is a good tool to have. The API Freshwater Master kit is what I have and is the most suggested product here on TFK. If your water turns out to be soft or just slightly hard, many of the South American fish fit that chemistry. You might search around on the internet and see what strikes you. You could make a list and then check it against the fish profiles provided here.