Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Stocking two 50gal tanks with existing fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/stocking-two-50gal-tanks-existing-fish-17411/)

iam1ru12 08-27-2008 09:08 PM

Stocking two 50gal tanks with existing fish

I'd like to ask for help in stocking TWO 50gal tanks. One already has fish in it while the other one's undergoing cycling.

Can anyone please help me assign these fishes to the two tanks?

7 Arulius Barb (Puntius arulius)
1 Asian Bumblebee Catfish (Pseudomystus siamensis)
3 Banjo Catfish (Bunocephalus coracoideus)
5 Upside-down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris)
1 Albino Clawed Frog (Xenopus laevis)
2 Leopard Pleco (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps)
1 Striped Raphael (Platydoras costatus)

Wishlist:
3 Featherfin Synodontis Catfish (Synodontis eupterus)
1 Rainbow Shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum)

As much as possible, I wouldn't want to separate members of the same species (except perhaps for the Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps considering that one is an albino and the other the regular variety).

I also hope that after stocking I'd still have room for a fish or two....

Pasfur 08-29-2008 07:32 PM

The Arulius Barbs and Rainbow Shark are a nice start to an Asian exhibit. I would research the origin of the catfish species and set one of the tanks up as an Asian biotope. A nice school of Golden Barbs would compliment the Arulius Barbs nicely, and take up space in the lower parts of the water column. Don't be fooled by the dull color at the LFS... Golden Barbs are beautiful fish when they settle in.

iamntbatman 08-29-2008 09:11 PM

Good idea! The bumblebee catfish would work nice in there as well.

iam1ru12 08-30-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur
The Arulius Barbs and Rainbow Shark are a nice start to an Asian exhibit. I would research the origin of the catfish species and set one of the tanks up as an Asian biotope. A nice school of Golden Barbs would compliment the Arulius Barbs nicely, and take up space in the lower parts of the water column. Don't be fooled by the dull color at the LFS... Golden Barbs are beautiful fish when they settle in.

That's a thought. However, it would mean I'd have to have three tanks! These fish come from three general areas:

ASIA
Arulius Barb (Puntius arulius) - India
Asian Bumblebee Catfish (Pseudomystus siamensis) - Southeast Asia
Rainbow Shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) - Southeast Asia

SOUTH AMERICA
Banjo Catfish (Bunocephalus coracoideus) - South America
Leopard Pleco (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps) - South America
Striped Raphael (Platydoras costatus) - South America

AFRICA
Upside-down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) - Africa
Albino Clawed Frog (Xenopus laevis) - Africa
Featherfin Synodontis Catfish (Synodontis eupterus) - Africa

On second thought, if I set up one tank as an Asian biotope (where I could also put in a rainbow snakehead, Channa bleheri, that I just found out was available from a supplier in Manila), put the frog in its own smaller tank, and leave the rest in a second tank... Hmmmm.....

Thanks for the suggestion. Now, I've got to devise a plan to catch the Asian bumblebee catfish... It has been hiding ever since I put it in the tank.