Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Good setup for plants and tetra? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/good-setup-plants-tetra-17410/)

Nightkids831 08-27-2008 09:51 PM

Good setup for plants and tetra?

Hi. I been researching for a while for a 55 gallon tank to keep in my room. I really want a big and good fish tank to keep with some bright healthy plants and tetras. I came across the Marineland Freshwater Combo Kit 55 Gallon online for about $250(including shipping). Yet the 55 gallon from top fin cost about 100 dollar less!! I wonder which aquarium I should get. 100 dollar does not matter to me so much if the quality between the two tank is that wide. Therefore, I am hoping I can get some advice as to which aquarium is better.
Also, I plan on getting Neon, Lemon, Glo-light and Blue Tetra for my 55 gallon community tank. I read how Blue Tetra can be a bit nippy so I wonder if the four of these tetra can be kept together. While I do plan on having the tank fill with plants for the tetra, I also read that they prefer a slightly dimmed light. My question is, how am I suppose to have healthy plant that recieve good amount of light when the tetra hate the light?

iamntbatman 08-27-2008 11:35 PM

They certainly don't need a dark aquarium. Even if you have strong lighting, having a densely planted tank will provide enough shade for the fish to feel comfortable.

I'm not sure about the compatibility of those fish as I'm not really familiar with any fish called a blue tetra. The other three should get along just fine, though. You'd need someone else's opinion on that blue tetra.

In order to really have a valid comparison, we'd need to know what the kits come with. I'm sure the Marineland tank is of at least slightly higher quality manufacture than the Top Fin, and the included filter is no doubt better, but I'm not sure if these add up to $100 worth of better.

Little-Fizz 08-29-2008 05:17 PM

I would go with Marineland, because I love those guys and they make great stuff. But topfin isn't so bad (At least my new filter isn't to bad) Its louder then the marineland filter though. But topfin is guaranteed for life, so you really can't go wrong. And for 100 bucks cheaper why not. But just look at the equipment the tank comes with and see what you feel is the better deal.

Ps. Where are you finding these 55 gallon kits? Lol send me a link I'm interested.

iamntbatman 08-29-2008 09:10 PM

Wal-mart actually sells a 55g kit for something like $125. The filters that come with these kits are made by a company owned by Marineland, so they're basically Penguin/Emperor filters except without the biowheels. They're actually pretty decent kits.