Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Q on cichlids

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Deku 
#1 ·
ok well ived heard cichlids other than puffer fish can be the most responsive fish out there well ived heard the are some that can go in small tank set ups well i already have the tank set up and everything and the water too(for three to four weeks with biospira and a ph neutrolizer) umm ived heard you can keep rams in there but ummm well i want a fish that when you come in it just follows you curiously i also like smart fish so ived heard cichlids can be smart. can you tell me all of the species that can go in a 10gallon tank and since my computer only has 6colors(yes its crappy) id like a description of what they look like. I like something that your like heck thats awesome! i want something you dont really get bored with like bettas and goldfish...something interesting oh if theres any black colored cichlid with red eyes :3 id love it if youd tell me oh i also like beggar fish(as in they begg alot and give u that puppy face) xD i find that to be smart include all species to be able to be put in a 10 gallon and you know characteristic and yes to those whoved previously read my post im still on that ten gallon tank because here are my fathers demand:
untill i can take care of a intermediate level fish i cant move on to the next step) though i have im currently caring for wild fish but in my garage with a heater to maintain a 65degree temp but he says hed rather me taking care of a harder fish to care for but again he doesnt know much fish species so if he doesnt know it well you know xD i can finnally move on to a hundred gallon set up :3 which ill be extremely happy so please help me
~ps please provide with information on fish~

See less See more
#6 ·
Cody said:
I wouldnt put Kribs in a 10G. If they breed, that would be a very small space.

A ram, or maybe two, would be the best option in my opinion. However, there are some dwarf shellies that may work, but I am unfamilar with them.
well im starting to get fond of cichlids because of their responsive nature or so ived heard but does this apply to rams and shellies?

#7 ·
A single specimen of any sort of dwarf cichlid should work:

-Kribensis
-Ram
-Apistogramma
-Nannacara
-Egyptian mouthbrooder

You could also, as mentioned, probably do a pair of the smaller shelldwellers.

You might be able to get away with a single jewel cichlid or convict, provided you had adequate filtration.

The dwarf fish and shelldwellers have interesting behavior to be sure, but they don't quite have that dog-like personality of the bigger cichlids. They're generally more shy. The jewel or convict, on the other hand, might have that type of personality (but it also depends a lot on the individual fish).

#8 ·
iamntbatman said:
A single specimen of any sort of dwarf cichlid should work:

-Kribensis
-Ram
-Apistogramma
-Nannacara
-Egyptian mouthbrooder

You could also, as mentioned, probably do a pair of the smaller shelldwellers.

You might be able to get away with a single jewel cichlid or convict, provided you had adequate filtration.

The dwarf fish and shelldwellers have interesting behavior to be sure, but they don't quite have that dog-like personality of the bigger cichlids. They're generally more shy. The jewel or convict, on the other hand, might have that type of personality (but it also depends a lot on the individual fish).
well out of all of these mentioned which fits my criteria?or closest
-beggar
-maybe a bit smart
-grows on you like a dog would
-gets to be very interesting?
id like atleast the closest

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.