Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Discuss fish with a fire eel and a black ghost (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/discuss-fish-fire-eel-black-ghost-17384/)

Jay Ack 08-27-2008 12:56 AM

Discuss fish with a fire eel and a black ghost

I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 3 inch discus one fire eel and one black ghost. Slime keeps on growing in my tank. i Cleaned my tank like 4 times i even rinsed it out and i also scrapped the glass off with blades. It still keeps on growing after 3 days of the tank being filtered. My fire eel has a HUGE ball in the middle of his body. I dont know what that is but i hope its nothing bad. Anyone experienced similar problem?

iamntbatman 08-27-2008 01:47 AM

How long has the tank been set up? Was it properly cycled? What, exactly, does this slime look like?

It would also be very helpful if you could post your water parameters (temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) taken with a good liquid test kit.

Also, just so you know, you're going to need a much larger tank for those fish in the long term.

Jay Ack 08-29-2008 04:25 PM

the temp is 78 degrees fehrenheit and the ph is 6.5. ammonia is 0.5. the tank has been set up for about a month. the slim looks like seemon. my eel died 2 days ago it had slim all over his body. ever since i took it out of my tank everything seems to be great. i was thinking the eel was a sick eel when i got it but it was doing great at the store. they had it in a 10 gallon tank with 8 other fire eels.

Little-Fizz 08-29-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Ack
the temp is 78 degrees fehrenheit and the ph is 6.5. ammonia is 0.5. the tank has been set up for about a month. the slim looks like seemon. my eel died 2 days ago it had slim all over his body. ever since i took it out of my tank everything seems to be great. i was thinking the eel was a sick eel when i got it but it was doing great at the store. they had it in a 10 gallon tank with 8 other fire eels.

You should probably find out whats causing ammonia in your tank...

What type of substrate do you have? If you have rocks the eels can scratch their bellies and get fungus.

:shock: :shock: I don't see how it could be doing great in a ten gallon with 10 other eels. fire eels need big homes.

Jay Ack 08-29-2008 10:50 PM

i have white sand. and yes its for freshwater. i know they need big homes but if they are ok in a 10 gallon tank then 25 should be a bit better even though its recommended 55 gallon. and the wierd thing is the eel was creating slim in my tank. ever since it died my tank is in great condition and the fish are more active now. it was just a mystery on why it happened.

tophat665 10-30-2008 08:10 PM

No mystery, that's far too much fish for a 10 gallon tank.

Cody 10-30-2008 09:08 PM

You do know that Fire Eels can reach over 2 feet in length, right?

Just because a LFS has overstocked doesn't mean you should. LFS tanks are never for long-term housing. You are slowly killing all of your fish if you dont upgrade the tank size to a 75G.

Heiko Bleher 11-06-2008 03:17 PM

Hi guys,

this is Heiko Bleher and I was so busy the last few weeks, as I could not come. I had after my 3 Amazon expeditions in August/September (with plenty of discoveries), the 7th International Discus Championships and the largest Aquarium Fish-show on Earth to attend and give 4 lectures, look at:
Aquapress Bleher - BLEHER'S BIOTOPES AQUARIUM & ZIERFISCHE 2008
and also at:
Aquapress Bleher - 7. INTERNATIONALES DISKUS CHAMPIONAT
than I had to fly to india for lectures and seminars and a workshop (and discovered 2 new species), and China for AQUARIA 2008, judging discus and giving lectures at the Shanghai Ocean University. See on my site under latest news.
I am writing this only because I did not (was unable) to come back in recent times.
But I have to tell you: I have done many natural bitopes in aquaria world wide and had jsut now again the terrible experiance with a fireeel in a discus aquarium, that is terrible. It is (to me) a crime. Those fishes should NEVER be placed together, one has nothing to do with the other and in addition the fire-eel (probably in is swollen belli is a discus) is a terrible predator and the discus a peaceful group - schooling - fish.
One should also read my session/lessons at
www.discuspassioon.net - it is Italian but my lessons are under Heiko Bleher - lessons, written in english.

But anyone who has discus should read my book, that would definitely help (that is why I wrote it...to help the worlwide discus community, that is why I packed so much into it, which people say should have made 10 books out of it...).

anyhow, please take my advice,

always all the very best

Heiko Bleher
Aquapress Bleher - Home
Aqua, International Journal of Ichthyology

okiemavis 11-15-2008 08:25 PM

:( you shouldn't have ANY of those fish in a 20 gallon tank. All of them will outgrow it, and to be honest, I'm surprised they're still alive with .5 of ammonia, discus are very sensitive fish.

Firstly, your temperature should be at least 82 degrees for the discus, if not 84-86. What are your nitrites, nitrates, gh, kh and total dissolved solids? Like I said, discus are sensitive fish. I keep mine at 84 degrees with twice weekly water changes using reconstituted RO water. I always keep my TDS below 200ppm and my gh and kh under 5. My ph is at 6. And, as with all my fish tanks, the ammonia and nitrites are zero, and the nitrates are kept at under 20ppm.

I would seriously consider rehoming all of these fish, and finding something more suitable for a tank that size. Discus are not an easy fish to keep in a large tank, nevermind a small one.