Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   What kind of catfish can go in a 10 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/what-kind-catfish-can-go-10-a-17353/)

Deku 08-25-2008 11:58 PM

What kind of catfish can go in a 10 gallon?

well i just wanted to know about some fish with characteristics like you know active i know catfish are quite the opposite xD but are there some catfish that can go in a 10gallon setup?

Deku 08-26-2008 12:02 AM

Re: What kind of catfish can go in a 10 gallon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deku
well i just wanted to know about some fish with characteristics like you know active i know catfish are quite the opposite xD but are there some catfish that can go in a 10gallon setup?

please help?

iamntbatman 08-26-2008 12:10 AM

Not many, really. Most catfish get to a pretty big size so a 10 gallon tank is just too small for most. Here are some options:

-Pygmy corydoras (you could keep a good school of 6-8 of these little guys and maybe a couple other fish)
-Any of the regular-sized corydoras catfish, although you'd have to have a smaller than ideal school of maybe four or so
-A dwarf pleco, such as a clown or bristlenose
-A South American bumblebee catfish (not the Asian types, as these get bigger)
-Possibly a raphael catfish
-Upside down catfish, but you wouldn't be able to keep more than one or two which isn't ideal as they like to be in groups

Deku 08-26-2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
Not many, really. Most catfish get to a pretty big size so a 10 gallon tank is just too small for most. Here are some options:

-Pygmy corydoras (you could keep a good school of 6-8 of these little guys and maybe a couple other fish)
-Any of the regular-sized corydoras catfish, although you'd have to have a smaller than ideal school of maybe four or so
-A dwarf pleco, such as a clown or bristlenose
-A South American bumblebee catfish (not the Asian types, as these get bigger)
-Possibly a raphael catfish
-Upside down catfish, but you wouldn't be able to keep more than one or two which isn't ideal as they like to be in groups

are these all? because i like the raphael...but they rarely go out to be seen which is a drag

Coryologist 09-01-2008 09:06 AM

Actually, all but the largest of the Corys will do quite well in a 10 USG tank. Depending of the entire bioload of the tank, 3 to 4 Corys or if it's a species specific tank, up to 10 Corys in a well maintained tank is no problem at all.

Many of my 10 USG Cory tanks house up to 20 adult Corys, without problem. Frequent water changes and a clean tank bottom are what you need to concentrate on.

Just my experience. You mileage, may, of course, vary. - Frank

Deku 09-01-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coryologist
Actually, all but the largest of the Corys will do quite well in a 10 USG tank. Depending of the entire bioload of the tank, 3 to 4 Corys or if it's a species specific tank, up to 10 Corys in a well maintained tank is no problem at all.

Many of my 10 USG Cory tanks house up to 20 adult Corys, without problem. Frequent water changes and a clean tank bottom are what you need to concentrate on.

Just my experience. You mileage, may, of course, vary. - Frank

well i like em xD but i dont think i should keep one xD i have a pufferfish now xD i mean im keeping a crayfish in it but its meant for food when he grows more i had to remove the claws xD bumblebee was picking at em xD