Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Red tailed shark adult aggressiveness (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/red-tailed-shark-adult-aggressiveness-17340/)

Charlie 08-25-2008 10:41 AM

Red tailed shark adult aggressiveness

Hi guys. I recently bought a 55 gallon tank off of Craigslist. But, it came with all the fish the previous owners had:

4 Angelfish
2 Featherfin synos
5 zebra danios
1 redtailed shark

Most of the fish aren't full grown yet. I'm worried about the red tailed shark being aggressive to the angelfish and stressing them out, or towards any other fish I add. I'm wondering if this will be a problem, and if I should try and find a new home for the shark, or if they'll get along together? What about the synos picking on the shark? I really don't want an aggressive tank.

I want to know now so that I can rehome it before it gets too big (probably to the fish store). Any other info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

sweetwaterarabians 08-25-2008 06:47 PM

Red Tailed Sharks aren't usually that agressive. They are to their own kind but he should get along with those other fish. Not sure about the synos though. I don't even know what those are. I've had my Red Tailed Shark for 5 years and he has been with guppies, neons, and all sorts of weanie fish and he has never bothered them. The only thing he bothered was tiger barbs that I had at one time. He killed all of them. He just had something against them. I think these fish have different personalities. You may get one that doesn't get along with anyone and then others that get along with everyone.

okiemavis 08-25-2008 06:59 PM

Really? RTBS are known to be rather territorial. They get about 6 inches. I'd recommend adding more decorations to break up his line of sight and give him a chance to claim his own territory...

sweetwaterarabians 08-25-2008 07:33 PM

Maybe I just have a good natured one. Definitely give him plent of caves and stuff. They like that.

iamntbatman 08-25-2008 09:38 PM

The RTBS shouldn't really bother the angels, since they stay in the mid to upper levels of the tank and he'll stick to the bottom. Some people might say the danios and angels are a bad mix because danios can supposedly get nippy, but I've never seen mine bother anything and they've been housed with a lot of other fish. They chase each other around, but that's about it. I think the synos might need to be rehomed, though - they get pretty darn big and they might not get along with the RTBS.

Charlie 08-26-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
I think the synos might need to be rehomed, though - they get pretty darn big and they might not get along with the RTBS.

Well, that's the thing. I favor the synos over the RTS. They're specifically synodontis eupterus, and get to around 8". Neither of them are full grown yet, one is a juvie and is only 3" while the other one might be at around 5-6". The RTS is also a small 3".

I do have a bit of stuff in the tank: 3 large rocks, about 6 broken clay pots that form caves, and a bunch of plastic plants. I'm planning to add more and eventually make it a planted tank, but as for right now, no live plants.

So far it sounds like I'm probably going to have to rehome the RTS, since both the RTS and the synos are territorial. Doesn't sound like a good mix, and I'd like to separate them before they start getting aggressive.

Would it be possible to get a seperate aquarium for just the RTS that's 20g or less? Should I just let the guy grow in the big tank and remove it before it gets beaten up? Or would the RTS just be unhappy in that small of a tank?

sweetwaterarabians 08-26-2008 02:04 PM

I think the 20 gallon would be too small. He just wouldn't be happy in there. They get to be a good size fish; about six inches and they are quite impressive when full grown. I always got loads of compliments on mine. He really stood out.
If it were me I think I would leave them alone and just watch them. If they start acting like they don't get a long maybe find a home for him. Who knows they might all get along great. Sometimes they can surprise you. And sometimes when you think you are safe you find out you're not.

iamntbatman 08-26-2008 02:41 PM

Actually, since the sharks are mostly bottom dwellers, I think even a full-grown one would be just fine by himself in a 20 long. That is, if you run into problems.