Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   lost one of a pair of angels. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/lost-one-pair-angels-173313/)

djembekah 05-09-2013 01:47 AM

lost one of a pair of angels.

I just got back from Hawaii. I only lost two fish, of which one (a betta) i expected. Apparently today my female angelfish died (i housed my mated pair in a 29 gallon tank).

I'm not really curious as to WHY she died, since I'm assuming the water quality went south due to lack of changes for a week and a half (although i only left enough food for each tank o have to be fed 3 times and all other tanks appear to be fine). I'm more curious as to what i shouls do with her lonesome mate. Keep him? Rehome?
Posted via Mobile Device

Romad 05-09-2013 04:28 AM

I can't give any insight to angels since I have no experience with them. Just came here to say I'm sorry that you lost your fish :(

I hope you had a great time in Hawaii.

fish monger 05-09-2013 06:49 AM

Sorry about your fish. I've never had good luck with my tanks during a vacation unless their was a family member at home to keep an eye on things. The most well intentioned friends or neighbors just can't seem to pull it off.

djembekah 05-09-2013 10:08 AM

Thanks guys. my mom was watching them. All the other fish look okay.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 05-09-2013 11:56 AM

This is probably one of those times when keeping the male angel on his own (= not with other angels; other non-angel fish is OK) may be the best, if that suits your situation. If not, re-homing him is the other option.

Depending upon his size, placing him in with a group of similar-sized angels might allow him to form another bond. I've never done this so can't comment on the chances. This may be something that only a store can manage.

Byron.

djembekah 05-09-2013 01:09 PM

I think i will hold onto him, and possibly reintroduce miscellaneous fish i removed when the pair started spawning. i think i need more plants though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agent13 06-03-2013 04:45 PM

Awwww. sorry for your loss. I have angels in my 75 community and love them more then I thought I would! They sit at the closest corner to my front door when I come home and anytime I come near the tank or replant plants that have been uprooted they hover around my arm. Very sweet fish. How is your lonely guy? ( I know this is late to post but only recently discovered this part of the site....

djembekah 06-10-2013 12:17 AM

no worries! i probably should update. He's doing well, i added some other fish, and he ignores them for the most part. I did add bettas (not recommended) but the only time he noticed them was the first time I added them. since then he keeps to himself, glass surfs a lot. He seems to like interaction with people who walk by

Captain Jim Dandy 06-10-2013 08:06 AM

How old is he, Dj? If he is social and seems like he wants company..well maybe you could get a $5 angel from a local fishstore(those guys could use business) and let him have a good home. I would send you a quarter size angel for shipping costs. Or maybe three little angels.I have golds, blacks and marbled. I have hundreds of little healthy angels with no home and little outlet. I'm sure they would have good home with you.

djembekah 06-11-2013 03:59 PM

Thanks for the offer! honestly, i worry that he'd be far too aggressive to a non-mate. I mean he and his lady beat the hell out of each other all the time lol. and as for a group of little ones, i don't want to keep a group in less than 55 gallons, no matter how much I want them. The 29 is just too small for me to be comfortable with more than a mated pair and some bottom dwellers. i don't want to overstock large cichlids in this tank :)
Posted via Mobile Device