Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Deku's questions~! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/dekus-questions-17330/)

Deku 08-24-2008 09:39 PM

Deku's questions~!

Umm hello well this thread will be where all of my questions belong. :D i have alot so please bear with me i know all basics and stuff but as time passes ill eventually have newer questions

Deku 08-24-2008 09:45 PM

okay seeing as this might annoy people ill try to limit my posts! okay? ill just do five questions per post and maybe post again every hour so it wont bother others :lol: i can be alittle chatty so bear with me :oops: :D :idea:
ok
1)Will a group of six glass catfish do well in a ten gallon tank with just one hatchet fish and a otto(clean up crew)?because thats what my dad gave me...idk if i should upgrade....well except i have only 2glass cats temporairly were stocking the rest next weekend...
2)should i add liveplants to that tank?
3)Should i keep extra water so when i clean the tank i can have matured water?
4)Any other kind of clean up crew?
5)snails?

Deku 08-24-2008 10:57 PM

What other colors can crayfish come in? other than blue....

Can you add a top dwealing fish with a crayfish? like one or two hatchet fish with a crayfish?

How often do i feed the crayfish?

How do i encourage crayfish activity?

What stores could sell them? (I live in flanders/ NJ)

Lupin 08-24-2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deku
1)Will a group of six glass catfish do well in a ten gallon tank with just one hatchet fish and a otto(clean up crew)?because thats what my dad gave me...idk if i should upgrade....well except i have only 2glass cats temporairly were stocking the rest next weekend...

You'll want a 30g to handle all 6 glass catfish and everything else.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

No need. Buy a dechlorinator to bind the chlorine and chloramine of tapwater into harmless form thus tapwater becomes safe for aquarium use.

Quote:

5)snails?
Do not use the fish to clean up the algae and leftover foods for you. Get a gravel vacuum cleaner and algae scraper. All fish need to be supplemented with a variety of foods.

Deku 08-25-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

You'll want a 30g to handle all 6 glass catfish and everything else.
i was told..that you need a ten gallon tank for these fish...hmm maybe just four?
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

No need. Buy a dechlorinator to bind the chlorine and chloramine of tapwater into harmless form thus tapwater becomes safe for aquarium use.

Quote:

5)snails?
Do not use the fish to clean up the algae and leftover foods for you. Get a gravel vacuum cleaner and algae scraper. All fish need to be supplemented with a variety of foods.

Deku 08-25-2008 11:50 AM

oh thanks maybe just four of those cats will do fine....though im now mad at the store cuz they told me i could do ten in there

Deku 08-25-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

oh thanks maybe just four of those cats will do fine....though im now mad at the store cuz they told me i could do ten in there

Deku 08-25-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i highly doubt i could return them >< though i do have five more questions
ummm why is there like on the tank on the water at top i see something and if i look underneath it looks like another substance....its not gasoline or anything but its like floating...so im wondering what it is and what i could do about it? also umm will 4glass cats be alright? or do they need more? where could i buy a blue crayfish? other than the hidding places...ummm lets see the filter and the gravel and the wall of bubbles for breathing xD what else do they need?(crayfish just in case its possible to give back the fish) because i dont want to kill the fish....

Deku 08-25-2008 04:13 PM

also forgot to add....ummm if i wanna use colored gravel...like black gravel...umm other than washing it throughly...what do i have to do so the paint doesnt leach out? i used a red and black gravel once...it leached out....not all of it just alittle...it made the tank cloudy...is there any specific gravel brand? like a sure brand that will never leach out? what methods can use to prevent and assure no leaching out? also with a crayfish umm if i decide to use a plastic plant how do i make it so he wont destroy it? do you think floating plants will be alright with the crayfish? if so what begginer floating plants do you recommend? btw whats the life span on most crayfish?

qpc68 08-25-2008 05:34 PM

Gravel that's aquarium safe shouldn't leech anything out. Where did you get the gravel from?

As for the glass catfish, while I've never owned any I did research them at one point. If I recall correctly they can grow to about 4 or 5 inches correct? I agree with Lupin, you'll probably need at least a 30 gallon, and even 4 is probably too large for a ten gallon especially if you're adding other fish in there.

Also, from my brief experience, I've learned to never take what anyone at the LFS says as fact. I would suggest always researching on your own and asking advice on here like you're doing. Always get a second opinion.