Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   filter issue (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/filter-issue-17306/)

numbr1speedfreek 08-24-2008 10:27 AM

filter issue

ok im sure this was covered at some point in time but its taking forever to search through all these posts so i figure ill just see if anyone out there can help me out directly. i am running a 75 gal tank with several different freshwater community fish. approx 15 or so fish, all pretty small species except for the 2 angels. (couple tetras, couple mollies, couple rainbows, couple blue rams). my problem is this: my filter media seems to be getting clogged up pretty quickly and so unfiltered water is flowing back out the top of my filter and barely trickling out where its supposed to. im buying new filter media every month at this point. i just need to know anything that would help this such as using only certain types of foods, like maybe possibly avoiding flake and going with granules instead? and maybe adding another filter? (by the way im running a filter similar to the whisper that handles up to 75 gal, 350gph) any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. thanks for any help!

fish_4_all 08-24-2008 03:10 PM

HOB filter? (hang on back of tank)
What kind of media?
It might be an issue where you need a courser first media and a finer second one. Remember that most media can be washed out in old tank water with every water change until it is useless.

If it is an AquaView filter, I would replace it with a better filter. AquaClear or Emporer or other quality HOB rated for 100 gallons or a canister filter rated for the same. You could go with both if you want to and not hurt anything.

If you can, find out the brand of filter.

numbr1speedfreek 08-24-2008 05:52 PM

yea its a HOB. its from that website liveaquaria.com. its the "dr's foster and smith" brand (the brand made by their company). very similar to the whisper power filters. each side of the filter has 2 filter bags with carbon and 1 biological sponge. i try rinsing it off every water change but it doesnt do much good. within an hour or so its right back to the same thing. its getting too caked up with crud way too quick. i heard flake food contributes to that a lot since it produces more waste than the granules or crisps. might give that a shot before i get another filter, but i have a feeling im just gonna need a second filter.

iamntbatman 08-24-2008 06:50 PM

Personally, none of my tanks (maybe with the exception of the smallest ones) are filtered only to the rated amount. For example, I have a community 29g tank that has a Penguin 150B (rated for 30 gallons) as well as an Eheim Liberty 150 (rated for 30 gallons, as well) so I've really got double the filtration needed. I have another 29g tank that will be a starter tank for a Jack Dempsey cichlid. The tank has a Skilter power filter rated for 55g tanks, as well as a Fluval 204 canister, which is rated for 40 gallon tank. So, this tank is receiving three times the "recommended" filtration amount. So you can see the point I'm trying to make...adding more filtration is definitely a good idea. I don't think I would replace your filter entirely. It may not be the best brand, but if it physically works it can be an asset to your aquarium. You might want to add a second HOB filter or, preferably, some sort of canister filter to the tank.

1077 08-25-2008 05:35 AM

You may also wish to cut back on feeding. Many people feed their fish three or four times a day which means you will be buying more food more frequently and fouling the water more quickly. Once per day feeding is plenty for most fish with the exception of babies. Only feed wha t you SEE them eat in approx one minute. Try counting backwards from 60 .Thats quite a bit of food . many people feed much more. No one ever lost fish by feeding once per day . The fish will thank you and your tank will remain cleaner. What I mean by "the fish will thank you " is they will remain healthy. :wink:

Tyyrlym 08-25-2008 06:30 AM

The odds are very good that there's nothing wrong with the filter. I feed my fish twice a day with flake and frozen foods and I've yet to see my filters gum up on me.

How much are you feeding them each time?

numbr1speedfreek 08-25-2008 09:42 AM

yea i probably do over feed a little bit. i feed them twice a day (when i wake up and when i go to bed) and each time they get 1 cube of frozen brine shrimp and a pinch of flake or granule and a little freeze dried blood worms. they always seem to finish it within a couple minutes except for the granules that make it to the bottom. i'll try the once a day thing and cut back a little on the amount.