Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   frozen brine shrimp (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/frozen-brine-shrimp-1729/)

trreherd 12-08-2006 01:09 PM

frozen brine shrimp

I wanted to try a frozen food cause i here the fishes color will be enhanced when feeding frozen food. i broke of a frozen chunk of the stuff and put it in the tank only to find that the thing just disolved and my fish dident get any. It is the sanfransico bay kind.

jones57742 12-08-2006 02:04 PM

Re: frozen brine shrimp

Quote:

Originally Posted by trreherd
I wanted to try a frozen food cause i here the fishes color will be enhanced when feeding frozen food. i broke of a frozen chunk of the stuff and put it in the tank only to find that the thing just disolved and my fish dident get any. It is the sanfransico bay kind.

"Something somewhere is bad wrong"!

You should be able to see the individual brine shrimp.

(Are these Baby Brine Shrimp? which I doubt).

From the context of your post I believe that you have purchased the "large pack" with a "sealable end".

The "only thing that I can think of" is that the package has been thawed and refrozen.

IMHO, unless your are an "experienced feeder" I would discard it (I know that this is tough due to price)!

TR

BTW:
I (meaning only me and "all of my stupid 'stunts'") would try mixing the brine shrimp with flakes to form a to mixture with the consistency of a "mildly wetted cereal" and try feeding it.
I would try this only if you have significant biological (as well as mechanical) filtration in your aquarium.

xingumike 12-08-2006 02:04 PM

Thaw it out in sometank water in a cup first, then pour that water in the tank, that will work better.

btw the fact that food is frozen won't affect the colours of the fish at all, otherwise i would feed my fish ice!!

trreherd 12-08-2006 03:32 PM

Yes i know the fact that is frozen wont anything but tipicaly frozen foods will have more nutrients and stuff.
I did not buy the big pack i bought a small one.
I will Look in the bottom of the back to see if the pack thawed and the shrimp sunk to the bottom.

bettababy 12-10-2006 04:59 AM

What kind of fish are you feeding it to? Also, always thaw frozen foods in a cup of tank water first. Putting it directly into the tank that way will create cold pockets in your water, and this could be very dangerous to your fish. If they swim through it, the sudden change in temp can throw the body into shock, and the results can be fatal.
If you're looking for frozen food to enhance color, let us know what kind of fish you're keeping and we can suggest some that are healthy for the kind of fish you keep. Nutrition needs vary among species.

Lupin 12-10-2006 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy
If you're looking for frozen food to enhance color, let us know what kind of fish you're keeping and we can suggest some that are healthy for the kind of fish you keep. Nutrition needs vary among species.

I could have sworn someone here tried carrots and mentioned that carrots are great color enhancers.http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/51_Quiet_Smiley_10.gif And so do paprikas.:thumbsup:

jones57742 12-10-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue
I could have sworn someone here tried carrots and mentioned that carrots are great color enhancers.

I have observed that carrots, spinach and beef heart "really do increase" the colors of my fishies (meaning their health).

I feed other "meats and veggies" just for variety for my fishies.

Someone mentioned corn and hominey.
IMHO this is a real "No No" per the literature and I have therefore never tried it.

TR

girlofgod 12-10-2006 11:26 PM

i have tried carrot pulp....i juice carrots in a juicer to make juice (for me) and i then feed some of the pulp to the fish. its very messy, and they dont eat a whole lot of it, so i dont do it often. also, i cant seem to get my fish onto the BS...for some reason they havent taken to it.

jones57742 12-11-2006 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlofgod
... also, i cant seem to get my fish onto the BS...for some reason they havent taken to it.

Something is wrong but do not know what it is.

When I 1st fed it a feeding frenzy ensued (although nothing like my homemade mixtures).

TR

trreherd 12-11-2006 03:22 PM

Im not just triing to enhance the color of my fishes but i want them to be more healthy. Lately my neons have been all discolored and im triing to find a solution and im consdering there diet as a posible cause.
Can anyone tell me of some frozen food for 3 neon tetras,1cory cat,2guppies,and i have a shrimp.
I took a chunk of the brine shrimp from the bottom of the back and thawed it i a cup of water and this time i actualy saw the shrimp. I dumped it in the tank and the fish did not like it that much. I heard neons love meaty foods buy mine only like flaked food?