Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ammonia won't go down (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ammonia-wont-go-down-17275/)

TurboMax 08-22-2008 07:40 PM

Ammonia won't go down

Hi. I've been lurking here for a while and I've learned a lot. Now I have a question.

I have a 10g freshwater tank with a platy and an african dwarf frog in it. The tank was started about mid-June and I have been watching the levels as it cycled. I think it has cycled yet I still have ammonia readings.

I've had 0 nitrites since July 6 but ammonia varies between 1.0 and 4.0. I am using the API liquid test kit but I am also using the test strips sometimes to get a second reading.

Why is this happening? I have seen that maybe I need to change my filter media? Or even change out my whole filter? It is a TopFin 10gallon filter.

Thanks!

okiemavis 08-22-2008 07:50 PM

What are the water parameters of your tap water?

TurboMax 08-22-2008 09:07 PM

The ammonia in my tap water is zero. I haven't checked anything but ammonia but I can if it helps.

Flashygrrl 08-23-2008 04:32 AM

Have you vaccumed out the gravel a bit when doing water changes? How old is your test kit?

1077 08-23-2008 09:23 AM

IMO the occupants of the ten gal could not produce that much ammonia. You will need to change the water any time ammonia levels are lethal the API liquid test is more reliable than strips. You need to use only dechlorinator in your tank when you do water changes. NO ammolock, No STRESS this or CYCLE that .Just a good dechlorinator such as PRIME or AMQUEL+. You will need to test the water every other day for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. When you see nitrates on test kit and ammonia and nitrites at zero then your Tank can house more fish. For now I would cut back on food to once a day . Don't vaccum the tank or mess with the filter for the next couple weeks. If you must clean the filter then swish it around in aquarium water that you take out at water changes. Most importantly have patience.

TurboMax 08-23-2008 11:19 AM

Thanks guys so much for replying. :D

I have been using stress coat+ and stress zyme. I can cut out the stress zyme right now. So stress coat is no good either? I'll try to find some prime. This is why I didn't ask the people at my local fish store because I knew they'd try to sell me some ammolock or something and thats the last thing I want to do. I don't want to mask the problem, I want to figure out what it is.

I'll cut back on the food to once a day. Hopefully the wife doesn't think I'm starving the fish to death :) She gets worried like that.

Flashygrrl, to answer your question, yes I have vacuumed out the gravel a few times when doing water changes. I bought my test kit about mid-June when I got my tank.

I'll watch the levels and let you guys know what happens.