Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Advice on stocking tank please. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/advice-stocking-tank-please-171250/)

marine0311 05-06-2013 12:19 PM

Advice on stocking tank please.

Hello all. Im nearing the end of completion of a fishless cycle on my 46 gallon tropical aquarium. I used a chunk of Tilapia wrapped in cheesecloth, with a pinch of fish flakes after the first bacteria brought ammonia down. Ammonia levels were above the testing scale for a couple weeks. Everything is looking good, and im almost ready to stock.
Here is my question......
I plan to have no more than 18 assorted Platy in this tank. Can I, should I, add all 18 in 1 day, (properly acclimated) ???
Im new to this, and am unsure of the quantities of bacteria that are established in my tank, given the method I used to cycle, meaning I am wondering if you think that my cycle method has created enough bacteria to immediately support a bio load of 18 platy? On the other hand, I dont want to add to little at a time and have good bacteria die off.
Thanks all.

Byron 05-06-2013 12:37 PM

You should have no problems adding 18 platy to a 46g tank that is cycled.

Do you have live plants? These make it even easier, but regardless, as I indicated above I think you're fine.

The "bacteria" don't exactly die, they go into a sort of hibernation. I'm not sure how long this can last, but recent research indicates it is more than most of us ever imagined.

Byron.

marine0311 05-06-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks. I have a couple live plants, was thinking of adding a couple moss balls. Do moss balls have the same benefits of live plants?

Byron 05-06-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marine0311 (Post 1979714)
Thanks. I have a couple live plants, was thinking of adding a couple moss balls. Do moss balls have the same benefits of live plants?

Yes, though lesser than true plants. "Moss balls" are actually algae, not a plant. Chladophora aegagropila is the scientific name of the algae species.

Byron.

marine0311 05-14-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1979594)
You should have no problems adding 18 platy to a 46g tank that is cycled.

Do you have live plants? These make it even easier, but regardless, as I indicated above I think you're fine.

The "bacteria" don't exactly die, they go into a sort of hibernation. I'm not sure how long this can last, but recent research indicates it is more than most of us ever imagined.

Byron.

Thanks for your advice. Worked out really well. I stocked all at once, while checking ammonia and nitrite 3 times daily. Neither went above 0.

Next question is Water is perfect, 0,0,10-20 . I have one platy which is resting at the bottom as of late, breathing seems ok, no clamped fins, and another that has began to flash. Neither have visual signs of ICH.
Would you recommend I remove the 2 from main tank immediately? or wait it out? Im very paranoid because a few months back we had a ich breakout and killed entire tank, due to over stocking a new tank...Many thanks to my local chain petstore on the horrible advice on stocking!! My fault for not researching properly though.

After that i drained 99% of water, did not wash gravel. Went through a 30 plus day fishless cycle with water temp at 95 F. According to extensive reading that should have been more than good to rid the ICH.
On a side note, one of them must have given birth, i saw 1 tiny fry but before i could intervene the poor fella was eaten.
I want to be overly cautious, and appreciate all input and suggestions, even criticisms. i really dont want to deal with another mass outbreak!!
Thanks,Ken

Byron 05-14-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marine0311 (Post 2046906)
Thanks for your advice. Worked out really well. I stocked all at once, while checking ammonia and nitrite 3 times daily. Neither went above 0.

Next question is Water is perfect, 0,0,10-20 . I have one platy which is resting at the bottom as of late, breathing seems ok, no clamped fins, and another that has began to flash. Neither have visual signs of ICH.
Would you recommend I remove the 2 from main tank immediately? or wait it out? Im very paranoid because a few months back we had a ich breakout and killed entire tank, due to over stocking a new tank...Many thanks to my local chain petstore on the horrible advice on stocking!! My fault for not researching properly though.

After that i drained 99% of water, did not wash gravel. Went through a 30 plus day fishless cycle with water temp at 95 F. According to extensive reading that should have been more than good to rid the ICH.
On a side note, one of them must have given birth, i saw 1 tiny fry but before i could intervene the poor fella was eaten.
I want to be overly cautious, and appreciate all input and suggestions, even criticisms. i really dont want to deal with another mass outbreak!!
Thanks,Ken

These symptoms would first suggest ammonia or nitrite poisoning to me, but if your tests for both are zero as you said then the next likely issue is either some water problem or ich.

What is the GH and pH?

marine0311 05-14-2013 02:05 PM

pH is between 7.8 and 8.4, GH is at 150. ammonia and nitrite both 0. (just now completed test)

marine0311 05-14-2013 02:19 PM

Water temp is 76f, I added half the recommended amount of aquarium salt about a week ago. Just noticed these 2 fish symptoms last night.

Byron 05-14-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marine0311 (Post 2047506)
Water temp is 76f, I added half the recommended amount of aquarium salt about a week ago. Just noticed these 2 fish symptoms last night.

OK, no issues with GH and pH. I asked about these because livebearers do not fare well in soft acidic water, and the symptoms you describe could indicate this. So that is another possible out of the way.

Temp is fine. Salt is not as bad for livebearers as soft water fish, but why have you been using salt?

marine0311 05-14-2013 05:44 PM

Only reason I added a little bit of salt is because during internet searchs, though opinions differ on the matter it seems that the benefits of a light salt could be good for them with respect to respiration. I did only add half what the bottle suggested. As far as other chemicals, its just Tetra Aqua Safe Plus for new water, and Dr. Fosters Live Nitrifiing Bacteria when changing water.
What would you do if you were in my shoes?