Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   live sand question. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/live-sand-question-17101/)

onefish2fish 08-15-2008 11:57 AM

live sand question.

i got 60lbs of caribsea live sand original grade in the mail today. do i need to pre-rinse live sand? nothing is in my tank except salt water right now. so does the sand need to be rinsed or will i loose the "live bacterias" in it?

Pasfur 08-16-2008 01:18 PM

Do not pre-rinse live sand. It has been rinsed already, so the cloudiness will be minimal. And yes, you risk killing beneficial bacteria.

richie3002 07-29-2009 11:10 PM

I poured in 40 pounds of live sand and my 29 gallon tank is extremly cloudy but i heard it should go away in 2 to 5 days

SuperFishFan 07-30-2009 12:39 AM

OF2F, Pasfur is correct in that the sand comes technically pre-rinsed, but if you wanted to, you can pre-rinse (pre-soak actually) if you want. The safest way is to visit a shop that first and foremost has a "good" reputation and that sells premixed water. Buy a 5 gal jug (sometimes if you buy the jug they'll fill it for free) and use an xtra- large capture net and an empty 5 gal bucket. Gently scoop a full net of live substrate into the net, hold it over the bucket and gently pour the seeded water over the sand and let the water pour through into the bucket, then add the substrate to your tank immediately after. This is a time consuming way to do it, but it ensures minimal risk if any, in destroying any bio-life in the sand, AND doing it a scoop at a time will ensure that you get the majority of any substrate dust out of the sand. As PAsfur said, if it's quality sand it comes pre-rinsed, so it shouldn't be to heavy of a job to complete this last process and make sure you've got it as dust free as possible.

BTW, where are you in South NJ? I'll be in Sicklerville in about 3 weeks

onefish2fish 07-30-2009 12:44 AM

this post is a year old so im good on the sand.

and i dont live south, its central.

SuperFishFan 07-30-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 220275)
this post is a year old so im good on the sand.

and i dont live south, its central.

Ha Ha!! LOL - I didn't even see the year LOL sorry bout that. What part central? I'm a Cali boy, but I love Jersey (that's where my fiancee is from) Born in Philly but raised in SNJ

onefish2fish 07-30-2009 02:56 AM

middlesex county and i lived out in san bernardino county for alittle over a year. to hot out there for my liking.
i dont mean to be rude but for the sake of not cluttering this thread feel free to PM me to continue this conversation if you wish.

SuperFishFan 07-30-2009 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 220298)
middlesex county and i lived out in san bernardino county for alittle over a year. to hot out there for my liking.

I know Middlesex very well. I also know San Bern very well, and yes Southern California does get hot, especially during this month. It's been blazin' lately