Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Honey versus dwarf spawning cycle. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/honey-versus-dwarf-spawning-cycle-1709/)

zen242 12-07-2006 03:07 AM

Honey versus dwarf spawning cycle.
 
Hey guys
since i had my own dramas with dwarf gouramis, my friend has decided not to get them for his tank.
he went to the store that I go to, which is pretty big and the owner seems to know what he's talking about, and they told him that in terms of aggression all gourami males are bad, but that the Honey gourami is the best because its the most peaceful and rather than the males just building bubble nests and getting territorial all the time, they just get aggressive for a few days once every month or so.
Is this correct?

Lupin 12-07-2006 03:29 AM

Re: Honey versus dwarf spawning cycle.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zen242
Honey gourami is the best because its the most peaceful and rather than the males just building bubble nests and getting territorial all the time

Peaceful, yes.:)
Quote:

they just get aggressive for a few days once every month or so.
Is this correct?
They are still the same as other gouramis. They get aggressive during spawning season.:wink2: The exception is that they don't at least get aggressive without nearing the spawning conditions.:)

tophat665 12-07-2006 07:42 AM

Re: Honey versus dwarf spawning cycle.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zen242
... they just get aggressive for a few days once every month or so.
Is this correct?

Sacre Poo! I have married a Male Honey Gourami!
:shock:

Lupin 12-07-2006 08:36 AM

Re: Honey versus dwarf spawning cycle.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
Sacre Poo! I have married a Male Honey Gourami!
:shock:

:bluelaugh: :thumbsup:
Unusual combination of a human and fish.:wink2: Your offspring would be a mermaid.:bluelaugh: :wink2:

zen242 12-07-2006 11:49 PM

So there is a season? I thought with teh Dwarfs they just permanently truied to make bubble nests? Same deal with the honeys?

Lupin 12-08-2006 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen242
So there is a season? I thought with teh Dwarfs they just permanently truied to make bubble nests? Same deal with the honeys?

That will depend on the individual.:) Some will make bubblenest, some will not.
When I say spawning season, that is the stage wherein they begin to act in an unusual manner and in the following days, spawning behavior will become obvious. It can be triggered by various circumstances depending on what happens in their native habitat.

zen242 12-08-2006 06:40 AM

So how often is it, or is it all the time? And does it differ in terms of timing between dwarfs and honeys?? :)

joeshmoe 12-08-2006 01:51 PM

Its usely once a month for gouramis mine only tried to spwan once but i didnt got any baby's. my male gold gourami riped up my angel to its death. :x i would separate your gouramis when they start to make a bubble nests

Lupin 12-08-2006 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshmoe
Its usely once a month for gouramis mine only tried to spwan once but i didnt got any baby's. my male gold gourami riped up my angel to its death. :x i would separate your gouramis when they start to make a bubble nests

Agreed. I will add that females should be removed immediately when they finished spawning. Male anbantids are known to beat their partners right after spawning.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2