Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Pet Shop! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/pet-shop-170762/)

FrightyDog 05-05-2013 06:24 PM

Pet Shop!

Some boys want to grow up and be firefighters, others astronauts, others doctors. I wanted to be a Zoologist. Always in my life have I had a special connection with animals. They recognize me differently than others. The vibes I give off are one that they can question enough to be curious about. Most animals love me. Recently I have gotten into the fish keeping business. why? My first two dogs amy and mushu passed in feburary. amy had humeral cancer while mushu died of depression (no amy). So I subconsciouly needed a back up. I got fish. I love these creatures and i am slowly forming bonds to them (mostly my betta). Now I can't decide! Marine biologist or zoologist? My girlfriend loves animals as well she hates the treatement they get at pet shops. So I thought we can open one...So there it is. I plan to open a pet shop up different than the rest. My problem is cost...will people buy enough from so i can stay afloat? My plan is to sell only shelter dogs and cats (and misc. if they have them). I would try to get as many puppies as I could then search for ones on death row. I also planned on selling fish, rodents, birds, and reptiles (including amphibians). We want to be better than other places. No 100 bettas in cramped areas. Instead 4 or 5 male bettas in tanks with other fish. Along with females together in more. No dog in cramped areas, but in large play area (purely for them) Where the co-owner (my girlfriend) would give them walk and make sure they are healthy. No 200 goldfish in a small tank either. Birds I am not too sure on how I can give them freedom. My girlfriend plans to be an animal trainer so hopefully she can teach the birds not to fly away. Thats pratically it..I am going to be a senior in high school and I plan on pursuing animal science. Anything else I should get? Or learn about? She has cats, birds, dogs, and a rabbit. I have hade reptiles, fish, and dogs. So pretty good balance for experience. We plan on expanding and opening our own personal ranch (at our home) where any dogs not adopted within a certain time frame would be our dog ^.^
Comments, Questions, Concerns, and Advice quite appreciated and well wanted!
Edit: Also my dad is president of a financial place so I got advice from him too!

GwenInNM 05-07-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrightyDog (Post 1973650)
Some boys want to grow up and be firefighters, others astronauts, others doctors. I wanted to be a Zoologist. Always in my life have I had a special connection with animals. They recognize me differently than others. The vibes I give off are one that they can question enough to be curious about. Most animals love me. Recently I have gotten into the fish keeping business. why? My first two dogs amy and mushu passed in feburary. amy had humeral cancer while mushu died of depression (no amy). So I subconsciouly needed a back up. I got fish. I love these creatures and i am slowly forming bonds to them (mostly my betta). Now I can't decide! Marine biologist or zoologist? My girlfriend loves animals as well she hates the treatement they get at pet shops. So I thought we can open one...So there it is. I plan to open a pet shop up different than the rest. My problem is cost...will people buy enough from so i can stay afloat? My plan is to sell only shelter dogs and cats (and misc. if they have them). I would try to get as many puppies as I could then search for ones on death row. I also planned on selling fish, rodents, birds, and reptiles (including amphibians). We want to be better than other places. No 100 bettas in cramped areas. Instead 4 or 5 male bettas in tanks with other fish. Along with females together in more. No dog in cramped areas, but in large play area (purely for them) Where the co-owner (my girlfriend) would give them walk and make sure they are healthy. No 200 goldfish in a small tank either. Birds I am not too sure on how I can give them freedom. My girlfriend plans to be an animal trainer so hopefully she can teach the birds not to fly away. Thats pratically it..I am going to be a senior in high school and I plan on pursuing animal science. Anything else I should get? Or learn about? She has cats, birds, dogs, and a rabbit. I have hade reptiles, fish, and dogs. So pretty good balance for experience. We plan on expanding and opening our own personal ranch (at our home) where any dogs not adopted within a certain time frame would be our dog ^.^
Comments, Questions, Concerns, and Advice quite appreciated and well wanted!
Edit: Also my dad is president of a financial place so I got advice from him too!

Sounds like you have some great plans and are motivated - good things! I used to work for the LASPCA many years ago, and still am very aware of the real problem: That there are just not enough homes for all the pets out there, all because people don't spay/neuter and can't make long term comittments to pets. Until people get educated and care enough to treat animals with care and make a comittment to a pet's well-being, rather than something disposable, there will always be animals that won't be placed, and will be euthanized :( Getting dogs that are scheduled for euthanisia can be a very difficult way to run a business. These pets are often not placeable due to behaviors etc. Not impossible, but you may not make the money you'd like running such a business. That is why there are no kill shelters, where some animals spend a great deal of time. If you're trying to sell birds, how do you make time to "train" them not to fly away?? Pet stores are meant to be temporary places for animals, not homes. I think the most successful small business are those were people sell high quality items for pet lovers and can provide good, accurate education with their sales.
So many pet stores sell pets, and the big chain stores are hard to compete with. What about finding a small niche, like offering shelters a place to display dogs/cats, and selling items for dogs and cats? There are so many ways to go. I've seen stores that just sell high end, healthy food such as raw, for dogs/cats and they do very well. Especially in So CA you've got a good market for that. As long as your not in Compton or Hawthorne etc :lol:

What is the availability of jobs in marine biology in So CA? I bet very competitive. Trying to make money and selling pets, just doesn't seem to go together. Pet stores sell pets to homes they know are not good because it's about making money and moving pets out. I could never own a petstore, knowing I'm contributing to impulsive buying and keeping people from going to shelters where pets are in need of homes. That's me :) Enough babbling;-)

Get out there and talk to people doing some of these things. What do they like? Dislike? How much money and hours go into the job etc etc.

FrightyDog 05-07-2013 10:34 PM

Lets break this down
Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1992137)
Sounds like you have some great plans and are motivated - good things! I used to work for the LASPCA many years ago, and still am very aware of the real problem: That there are just not enough homes for all the pets out there, all because people don't spay/neuter and can't make long term comittments to pets. Until people get educated and care enough to treat animals with care and make a comittment to a pet's well-being, rather than something disposable, there will always be animals that won't be placed, and will be euthanized :(

I understand that. There are many animals that are all over! As to the people. I would love to run background checks before selling the animals..(does it cost money?)

Quote:

Getting dogs that are scheduled for euthanisia can be a very difficult way to run a business. These pets are often not placeable due to behaviors etc. Not impossible, but you may not make the money you'd like running such a business. That is why there are no kill shelters, where some animals spend a great deal of time. If you're trying to sell birds, how do you make time to "train" them not to fly away??

I understand. No-kill shelters are great! But I have yet to see one near me. As for behavior, we wanted to venture away from those except every so often. She wants to try to rehabilitate them back into the family community..But other than that how would it lessen our profit? Also as for training the birds it was just an idea ^.^ It's just birds were made to fly and if they didn't escape, people would be more prone to keep them out of their cages (probably) It was just an idea that we wanted to try

Quote:

Pet stores are meant to be temporary places for animals, not homes.

THIS. This is probably the hardest thing for us. We are both animal lovers and we want the animals as happy as they can be while staying with us. We walk around pet shops and sometimes are so depressed at the animal's condition. We want our animals happy and cozy where they are. Now I understand it can be a little bit too "homely" But it's somewhat of what we want. Just happiness. I just don't know where to draw the line between home and (in human view) five star hotel

Quote:

I think the most successful small business are those were people sell high quality items for pet lovers and can provide good, accurate education with their sales.
So many pet stores sell pets, and the big chain stores are hard to compete with. What about finding a small niche, like offering shelters a place to display dogs/cats, and selling items for dogs and cats? There are so many ways to go. I've seen stores that just sell high end, healthy food such as raw, for dogs/cats and they do very well. Especially in So CA you've got a good market for that. As long as your not in Compton or Hawthorne etc :lol:

Can you please clarify what you mean by "high quality"? food? pet conditions? Just want more details please :). They big and other pet stores are competition, but we will try our best :/. I live by whittier so its pretty good. And by offering shelter pets, do you mean to tell shelters they can advertise their animals there and even bring some in for examples? I dont understand that either..(sorry for all the questions)

nd (in human view) five star hotel

Quote:

What is the availability of jobs in marine biology in So CA? I bet very competitive. Trying to make money and selling pets, just doesn't seem to go together. Pet stores sell pets to homes they know are not good because it's about making money and moving pets out. I could never own a petstore, knowing I'm contributing to impulsive buying and keeping people from going to shelters where pets are in need of homes. That's me :) Enough babbling;-)

Get out there and talk to people doing some of these things. What do they like? Dislike? How much money and hours go into the job etc etc

Marine biology was just an idea. I want to mainly pursue animal science if that's an option...But how do making money and selling pets not go hand in hand? Are you referring to the lust for money by the means of selling lives? Well if so then we want to have educated owners who we ourselves would try to educate...And thats why we wanted to bring in shelter dogs...We want to encourage shelter dogs and take some in too if that's possible...Is it? Can you take shelter dogs and sell them? And I am. I am trying to get a job at a fish store and talking to many people in the animal business.
And you thought you babbled x) Sorry we just want to be the pet shop that people like and don't think they are stopping shelters....

GwenInNM 05-08-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrightyDog (Post 1992545)
Lets break this down

I understand that. There are many animals that are all over! As to the people. I would love to run background checks before selling the animals..(does it cost money?)

I understand. No-kill shelters are great! But I have yet to see one near me. As for behavior, we wanted to venture away from those except every so often. She wants to try to rehabilitate them back into the family community..But other than that how would it lessen our profit? Also as for training the birds it was just an idea ^.^ It's just birds were made to fly and if they didn't escape, people would be more prone to keep them out of their cages (probably) It was just an idea that we wanted to try

THIS. This is probably the hardest thing for us. We are both animal lovers and we want the animals as happy as they can be while staying with us. We walk around pet shops and sometimes are so depressed at the animal's condition. We want our animals happy and cozy where they are. Now I understand it can be a little bit too "homely" But it's somewhat of what we want. Just happiness. I just don't know where to draw the line between home and (in human view) five star hotel

Can you please clarify what you mean by "high quality"? food? pet conditions? Just want more details please :). They big and other pet stores are competition, but we will try our best :/. I live by whittier so its pretty good. And by offering shelter pets, do you mean to tell shelters they can advertise their animals there and even bring some in for examples? I dont understand that either..(sorry for all the questions)

nd (in human view) five star hotel

Marine biology was just an idea. I want to mainly pursue animal science if that's an option...But how do making money and selling pets not go hand in hand? Are you referring to the lust for money by the means of selling lives? Well if so then we want to have educated owners who we ourselves would try to educate...And thats why we wanted to bring in shelter dogs...We want to encourage shelter dogs and take some in too if that's possible...Is it? Can you take shelter dogs and sell them? And I am. I am trying to get a job at a fish store and talking to many people in the animal business.
And you thought you babbled x) Sorry we just want to be the pet shop that people like and don't think they are stopping shelters....

We have a pet store here in Albuquerque called "Long Leach on Life". You can google it and probably get an idea of what they stock. I'm sure there is such a store (or many) in and around L.A. They sell high end kibble etc and a big variety of raw foods. Nice accessories etc.

Also, "mobile adoptions" are all over. PetSmart and PetCo allow cats and rabbits to remain (in cages) in their stores that are from shelters. But, yes, you could set up a place where the shelters house their pets at your store, but the you'd have to work out how much, if any money you'd get from the sale, or are you doing it to help the pets, without asking for money.?? Understand?

The city here does not adopt pets to anyone that has a felony. I'm guessing most cities are now doing that (at least big, progressive cities). Yes, it costs, but I don't know how much. . .probably not much. That still does not guarentee a "good" home. Look on Craigslist at how many people are rehoming pets because they are "moving", decided they "don't have time" etc, etc. Only 10% of all animals placed go into permanent/forever homes. Pretty incredible statistic.

If I missed a question you had, please say so. . .

fish monger 05-08-2013 08:54 AM

Your dad should have some great info for you on the business end. Not only would he have the professional knowledge, he also would probably have plenty of examples of what works and what doesn't.

Gwen has brought up some very good points.

It seems to me that selling shelter animals would be a charitable venture which may actually cost money. The shelters' goals are to find good homes and raise money to allow them to continue or expand their work. I could see where they would expect a pet shop's involvement to be a sort of donation.

FrightyDog 05-08-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1995049)
But, yes, you could set up a place where the shelters house their pets at your store, but the you'd have to work out how much, if any money you'd get from the sale, or are you doing it to help the pets, without asking for money

The city here does not adopt pets to anyone that has a felony. I'm guessing most cities are now doing that (at least big, progressive cities). Yes, it costs, but I don't know how much. . .probably not much. That still does not guarentee a "good" home. Look on Craigslist at how many people are rehoming pets because they are "moving", decided they "don't have time" etc, etc. Only 10% of all animals placed go into permanent/forever homes. Pretty incredible statistic.

If I missed a question you had, please say so. . .

Well thats my problem. I want to help the animals. But making profits on them just bugs me. And how would i make profits?..I dont know... But I would rather get them than puppy mill dogs. I don't want to encourage those either...Also I never knew that...thats a very good insight. I have taken that into consideration...But that's just something as an owner you have to decide if you are ok with the chances...
As to fishmonger
Yeah i thought of that too so I am not sure on that. And my dad has already gave me plentiful funding advice haha

Thank you both so much for your thoughts and comments ^.^

fish monger 05-09-2013 06:29 AM

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned. Have you ever considered a non-profit organization (NPO) ? That seems to be a way in which you could do many of the educational and charitable things that are an important part of your business idea. You pay yourself as part of your expenses. The profit must be put back into the organization...you couldn't pay out to shareholders. Naturally, it's fairly complicated and you need to prove a lot of things to be classified as a NPO by the government. I might be full of baloney but, maybe it's worth a little research.