Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Upgrade Suggestions Please

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SKAustin 
#1 ·
Ok Here's the deal.

I currently have a beautiful 55g RR Softies dominated Reef tank with a 30g sump w/ refugium, Coralife skimmer & 260w (65x4) Coralife PC light fixture.
See it here: http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3422

I am planning an upgrade, and have found a 75g RR tank, complete with 20g sump, ASM Skimmer & 690w (250x2 + 95x2) Coralife MH/PC light fixture.

I have been mulling over different thoughts and ideas on what to do with it, what changes i should make, and an overall course of action. I invite anyone to provide any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations that might help.

Remember, this is meant as an upgrade to my current system, not the addition of a new system.

#2 ·
Are you going to keep that sump, or use your 30G(?) sump?

You, as you probably already know, can keep almost any coral. I would definately get some branching SPS, like Montipora Digitata or Birdsnest. Maybe some Staghorn. Definatley add some more LPS, like Frogspawn, Candycane, etc, and then of corurse, softies.

I dont exactly know what fish you have, could you tell me?

#4 ·
Hey Cody, Yes, right now, I have a pair of False percs, a yellow tang, a blue hippo tang, 6-Line wrasse, a scooter dragonette, a bi-color blenny, a neon goby, and a red firefish.

I dont plan on adding any fish as the current system is already overstocked with fish.

I was thinking of slowly moving to sps dominated tank, but I like the softies too. I'm not a big fan of the "balloon animal" corals (frogspawn, Hammer, Torch) so I think I'll just stick with the Pink-tipped Green Frogspawn I have now.

One of my bigger concerns is that I will suffer losses to some of the softies due to the intense increase in lighting. I've actually considered trading or selling off the light fixture for a downgrade to T5s, but then I like the idea of being able to get the SPS corals in the tank.

Another dilemma I'm facing is the possibility of needing to flush the old sandbed due to a recent Pyramid Snail outbreak. But then the population of Pyramids isn't outlandish, and I'm sure some of them would carry over in the rock anyhow. I've been plucking them out as i find them, but it's a daunting task. The new system also comes with a good bed of sand as well, so I guess we'll have to gauge that when the time comes.

iamntbatman said:
Use the 75g as your main display, connect it to the 55g and pack that full of live rock and a mantis shrimp, then continue to use the 30g to house the skimmer, macro algae, and more LR for both tanks.
I'm afraid the 55g is spoken for. My wife will be getting that tank for her anemones and Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.