Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Eco-Complete as cap on dirt in NPT? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/eco-complete-cap-dirt-npt-170402/)

Deanna01 05-05-2013 07:42 AM

Eco-Complete as cap on dirt in NPT?

Hi, all. I'm working on making an NPT nano tank. I will get some Scott's Miracle-Grow, but I was wondering if I can use Eco-Complete (drained) on top of it as "gravel," essentially, to hold down the dirt. I'd like the color to stay all black rather than put river pebbles on top.

Byron 05-05-2013 11:37 AM

Can't see why it wouldn't work, as EC is just "gravel" of sorts, though much more expensive. I assume you intend no substrate fish (EC is rough on these).

Deanna01 05-05-2013 11:42 AM

Thanks, Byron! No, it's actually just for a betta. Out of curiosity, though, what type of cap would be good for substrate fish? Just sand?

Boredomb 05-05-2013 11:45 AM

If you already got the Eco complete you can use it but if you plan to buy it then I would go for a black sand. Something that is cheaper. As for Miracle Grow the Organic Choice Potting Mix is what most ppl use.

ao 05-05-2013 02:43 PM

ive heard about nutrients leeching through flourite. not sure about EC

JDM 05-05-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanna01 (Post 1970746)
Thanks, Byron! No, it's actually just for a betta. Out of curiosity, though, what type of cap would be good for substrate fish? Just sand?

Yes, just sand. From what I understand of soil substrates you only need 1/2" of soil. If that is correct (I don't know for sure) then capping with anything won't give you a two tone effect if the bottom trim of the tank is deep enough to cover the dirt layer and only show the cap.

Jeff.

ao 05-05-2013 08:44 PM

ifyou want to hide the soil, lay the cap around the perimeter, then add the soil in the center. this will hide the soilfrom being seen through the glass

Boredomb 05-06-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aokashi (Post 1975066)
ifyou want to hide the soil, lay the cap around the perimeter, then add the soil in the center. this will hide the soilfrom being seen through the glass

Not always. I have a tank now that I did that with and the two layers have blended together in some spots.

The best way to do it is to use eggcrate. You cut it to the lenght and width of the tank. Making several layers to get the depth you want. Then lay the sand over, front, and top of it. In the centre of the tank add the soil and then cap it sand. I had done this method before and the soil/sand stay exactly where you want it.

MoneyMitch 05-06-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1979530)
Not always. I have a tank now that I did that with and the two layers have blended together in some spots.

The best way to do it is to use eggcrate. You cut it to the lenght and width of the tank. Making several layers to get the depth you want. Then lay the sand over, front, and top of it. In the centre of the tank add the soil and then cap it sand. I had done this method before and the soil/sand stay exactly where you want it.

difficult to plant inside eggcrate?

Boredomb 05-06-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1980994)
difficult to plant inside eggcrate?

You just do along the sides but no it wasn't difficult.