Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   eBay filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/ebay-filter-1699/)

dprUsh83 12-06-2006 01:11 PM

eBay filter

Just wondering if this was a good deal....I'm looking for an affordable upgrade, but don't know much about specific filters

http://cgi.ebay.com/PENN-PLAX-CASCAD...QQcmdZViewItem

girlofgod 12-06-2006 01:49 PM

i believe it was bettababy that recommended penplax filters...i could be wrong, but there was someone on the forum that liked them. i believe that is a good deal for a 100gallon filter. petsolutions also has good prices on filters. i got my rena through them. good luck!

saganco 12-06-2006 04:30 PM

Not meaning to thread hijack here, but I am open to any good suggestions on a better filter for my 10g tank who's role is
1. fry grow out,
2. emergency hospital, and
3. QT tank for new purchases. So something that I can "adapt" not to suck up the fry - but does a really good job of cleaning the tank.

Are internal filters better than HOB for this size tank and it's uses? If so, tell me more??? I know so little about filters in general. I have a Fluval 304 on my 55g planted livebearer, and have purchased a Fluval 405 for the new 65g cichlid tank (not set up yet) - is the 405 the best choice for the new cichlid tank? I know... that's more than one question about more than one tank!! Thanks folks!

Melissa 12-06-2006 04:37 PM

it looks like a good deal to me

fish_4_all 12-06-2006 06:30 PM

For 50 gallons or more, a canister filter is a much better choice. As for HOB, I would recomend the AC HOB for versatility and functionality.

Aquaclear 110
Details site

If you really want to stay with an HOB then this one should work very well. The sponges are easily exchanged with ceramic rings, biochem stars or filter floss or whatever you want to put in there. Carbon isn't needed for the most part unless you need to remove medications and is only good for about 4 weeks anyway depending on tank size and bioload. In planted tanks you don't want to use it at all because it can and does remove some beneficial fertilizers from the water.

saganco 12-06-2006 07:28 PM

fish_4_all, you mentioned that you shouldn't use charcoal in a planted tank... I have a 55g planted tank that uses a Fluval 304 WITH charcoal. Should I take the charcoal out of the filter??

Lupin 12-06-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saganco
fish_4_all, you mentioned that you shouldn't use charcoal in a planted tank... I have a 55g planted tank that uses a Fluval 304 WITH charcoal. Should I take the charcoal out of the filter??

I would definitely remove them. That seems to be an issue.:dunno: Dawn told me she used that in her planted tank and she has no problems with that. In fact, she seems to have problems with rapid growth of her javan ferns and javan moss. Most surprising is she doesn't use CO2 at all.:shock2:

fish_4_all 12-06-2006 08:55 PM

The only time I have ever seen that you need it is to remove medication. Other than that it is a waste of both time and money. You get better water clarity from simply using sponges and filter floss.

That and it is only good for about 2-6 weeks, after that it is just another mechanical filter and not a good one at that.

Lupin 12-06-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
The only time I have ever seen that you need it is to remove medication. Other than that it is a waste of both time and money. You get better water clarity from simply using sponges and filter floss.

Agreed. Also odors and possibly yellow water.:)

dprUsh83 12-07-2006 12:08 AM

Well I am going to run a couple of HOB filters on my (hopeful) new tank. I got another craigslist connection and it appears I'm going to pick up a 150 gallon tank tomorrow. I am going to run two 55 gallon HOB's and would like to ask....spending under $100 on a new filter, what would you recommend?