Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   My new fish is mating with everything... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/my-new-fish-mating-everything-16974/)

cause121 08-10-2008 08:09 PM

My new fish is mating with everything...

I just added this new fish (A black&white Marble Molly) to my fish community yesterday, however within 5 minutes of his addition he started mating with every other fish boy or girl, he was focused on a little tattoo balloon molly we have at first but then he started after everything else, to include our male catfish! He's been doing it non-stop for over a day now and I am just starting to worry that he might either hurt another of my fish or stress them out. I am also curious to know if when he mates with a different type of molly can they get pregnant since he is a different type? Any help would be much appreciated.

iamntbatman 08-10-2008 09:00 PM

What other fish are in the tank? How big is the tank?

Yes, he will be able to breed with different types of mollies. If you've got female mollies of any kind in there, he will breed with them. His constant breeding attempts can be stressful to other fish, but if you've got several females in there, it should help spread out the stress. If you notice him bothering one fish in particular, you might want to move him to a different tank.

cause121 08-10-2008 09:12 PM

Fish in tank

2- marble mollies male/ female
2- balloon mollies male/ female
2- black mollies male/ female(already pregnant)
2- algae eaters
1- bumble bee catfish

20 G

iamntbatman 08-10-2008 10:04 PM

As sent to me in a PM: the member is considering returning the male and trading him for another female.

This is a good idea. Generally with livebearers it's best to keep a ratio of one male to two females, so increasing your female to male ratio is a good plan. If there's only one female to every male, the females can be more stressed out from the constant attempts by the males to breed with them. Also, mollies are generally pretty peaceful but if you've got a high male to female ratio, the males can get into arguments from time to time.

Do you know if your bumblebee catfish is an Asian bumblebee, or a South American bumblebee? The Asian type gets much larger (too large for your tank, I'd say) but will help keep your fry population under control.

cause121 08-10-2008 11:51 PM

catfish

I was looking at pictures of the two different kinds and after some research I'd be inclined to say that it is a South American Bumblebee Catfish, when I got him I was told he would not grow very big and was ideal for my tank size and although it hasn't been too long about 3-4 months he hasn't grown very big, maybe an inch and a half in size, but he does a fantastic job cleaning up after the other fish and stays hidden most of the time... probably my favorite of the bunch.[/quote]

iamntbatman 08-11-2008 12:46 AM

Ah, excellent! This fish won't break three inches, but apparently is also adept at eating livebearer fry, both of which will do you good.

Come to think of it, I've been looking for an interesting bottom dweller for my 29g community...maybe I've found it.