Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Are my plants dying?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/my-plants-dying-169706/)

Goldiebunny 05-04-2013 04:44 AM

Are my plants dying??

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and also to fish keeping.

I have a new tank which has been set up for just over two weeks. We have six harlequins at the moment but no other fish as yet as the tank is so new. The plants have brown spots all over them and an almost cobweb look on some of the smaller ones. I am not sure what this is but am hoping it is something I can sort relatively easily.

The fish all seem really happy and the water quality is absolutely spot on so I know it's not because the water is wrong.

Can anyone please help? I would really appreciate your opinions.

Many thanks and I am really looking forward to being a part of this community.

Goldiebunny 05-04-2013 04:49 AM

I forgot to say that the tank is 94 litres and is 75cm x 45cm. The substrate is dark brown fine gravel /coarse sand. Not sure how to add pictures from an iPad so can't do that at the moment unless anyone can tell me how to do it.

Boredomb 05-04-2013 10:58 AM

Do you have an account at a imagine hosting site like Photobucket? If so you can up loaded pics to there and will able to post the direct link with your Ipad.

What types of lights do you have?? Do you use fertilizer?? How long are the lights on? Does the tank get sunlight from a window??
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 05-04-2013 12:21 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:-D

As Boredomb said, we need more data as many factots are involved. Another thing we need to know is your GH (general hardness) of the source water (tap water presumably). You can find this out from the municipal water supply, they likely have a website with water data.

Byron.

Goldiebunny 05-04-2013 12:59 PM

Hi Boredomb,

No account to add photos but will look into it. Not sure on lights I'm afraid. It says on the website for the shop we bought Fon that hey are 36w fluorescent lights though. They are on a timer for twelve hours from two in the afternoon to two in the morning. No sunlight shining straight on the tank during the day though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 05-04-2013 01:06 PM

Can you take the bulbs out? If so see if they have any writting on them.
A timer is a very good tool to use and it can cone in handy. What about using fertilizer??
By chance do you know the names of the plants?? Without anymore info to go on I or others can't really suggest a plan of action here.

JDM 05-05-2013 07:51 PM

Ipad is easy for pics.

Scroll down to manage attachments, click.

Clickchoose file and it will give you two options, "take picture" or "choose existing".

Take picture and click "upload" or choose from your existing folders.

It will only let to upload one picture per post though, not sure why.

Jeff.

Goldiebunny 05-07-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1975130)
Ipad is easy for pics.

Scroll down to manage attachments, click.

Clickchoose file and it will give you two options, "take picture" or "choose existing".

Take picture and click "upload" or choose from your existing folders.

It will only let to upload one picture per post though, not sure why.

Jeff.

Thank you everyone for your help. I went to my local aquatic shop over the weekend who gave some good advice. I have used fertiliser and some fertiliser balls for nutrients. Also got a clean up army of shrimps and some other sucky type fish (can't remember the name!) Also changed the timer so lights are only on for eight hours instead of twelve.

All looking much better two days on. Fingers crossed!
Posted via Mobile Device

MoneyMitch 05-07-2013 02:29 PM

cleaning crews and plecos are hardly a way to dela with algae, if its a real algae problem no amount of cleaning crew can keep up with it.

Goldiebunny 05-08-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1989177)
cleaning crews and plecos are hardly a way to dela with algae, if its a real algae problem no amount of cleaning crew can keep up with it.

MoneyMitch the shop saw photos of the issue and I have taken out the growing blanket weed type algae which they told me to do. Also the brown spots on the plants are hardly there now that I have done an attack of the clean up crew and the fertiliser and nutrient balls to boost plant growth. It is not just the cleaning crew that are dealing with it. So far so good. Fingers crossed.
Posted via Mobile Device