Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   PH Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ph-question-16964/)

heyhi 08-10-2008 01:10 PM

PH Question

How can i lower my PH without using chemicals its is currently at 7.4 i would like it to be at 6.8-7.0.....is the ph going to affect my medium sized fish? :?:

Little-Fizz 08-10-2008 01:15 PM

Re: PD Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyhi
How can i lower my PH without using chemicals its is currently at 7.4 i would like it to be at 6.8-7.0.....is the ph going to affect my medium sized fish? :?:

You can lower your pH by placing drift wood in your tank, or peat moss in your filter. Those are both natural ways of lowering pH .

It depends what your medium sized fish is?

iamntbatman 08-10-2008 01:56 PM

Both of the things Little Fizz mentioned are good natural ways to gently lower your pH. Keep in mind that if your water is very hard, it might have enough buffering capacity that driftwood and peat might make very little (if any) difference.

What fish are you trying to lower it for? Wild caught fish tend to be fairly sensitive about pH levels, but many tank-bred fish are much more tolerant of a wide range of pH. It's more important that you provide your fish with a steady pH than one that's perfectly in their suggested range. Unless you're working with wild-caught blackwater fish like wild caught discus or something, I think a pH of 7.4 should be safe for most anything.

heyhi 08-10-2008 02:36 PM

8 neon tetras
3 panda corys
6 shrimp
1 clam
1 snail
1 red tailed black shark
3 silver hatchet
2 ballon molleys
4 GLOW FISH
1 angel fish
1 flying fox
3 octos
3 kuhli loaches
2 glass cats
2i think they are golden loaches
and 1???looks like a jet wich is my fav fish
and 1??? blue fish
2 upside down catfish i never see
1 small frog

HERE ARE MY PICS http://www.flickr.com/photos/2931501...ted=2740523558

my tank is 55 gal my nitrate nitrite amonia is 0 ph is 7.4 can any 1 help identify these 2 fish and tell me if they are healthy i had 2 shrimp die i had 2 bumble bee gobys die and 1 ballon molly also do u know of any aquatic turtles i can add

heyhi 08-10-2008 02:45 PM

THE PIC IS FOR THE 2 FISH I DONT KNOW THE NAME OF...THE 1 JET LOOKING FISH IS VERY FRIENDLY THE FISHSTORE TOLD ME THEY NEVER KEEP IT WITH OTHER FISH BECUASE THEY DONT KNOW TO MUCH ABOUT IT. IVE HAD IT ABOUT A MONTH AND ITS GREAT. VERY ACTIVE VERY COOL. THE GUY TOLD ME WATER HAS TO BE OPTIMUM

Little-Fizz 08-10-2008 02:51 PM

WOAHHHHHHH Dude I hope your fish store lets you return fish, because thats an atlantic sturgeon and they get bigger then me!!! Aka over 5 feet.

The other ones a gourami of some sort. Not sure what kind.

iamntbatman 08-10-2008 02:54 PM

That's quite an assortment of critters!

With all of those different fish, I think you're much better off leaving the pH where it is. Some of them like more acidic water, and some like more alkaline, so leaving it near neutral is a good compromise.

From those pictures, fish I saw that you hadn't explicitly listed were a powder blue dwarf gourami (this could be your blue fish) and some sort of dark colored catfish (is this the one that looks like a jet?). It was sort of difficult to see that fish in the pictures so properly identifying it is tough. It could be some sort of whiptail cat, possibly.

Just as a word of warning: that clam is likely going to die, since they are filter feeders and really need a steady diet of green water in order to live. Some members here have suggested trying to spot-feed clams with liquid fry foods.

Gump, one of our more experienced fishkeepers, had this to say:

Quote:

...Clams are filter feeders so if you don't have a lot of micros in the tank they wont last long. It's hard to tell when a clam dies and if you leave a dead clam in the tank for over a few days it will muck up your water quickly.
One more thing: I definitely wouldn't recommend adding a turtle to that tank. It's already quite heavily stocked as it is, and aquatic turtles add a ton of waste to your system. They also require a basking area above water as well as special UV lighting to keep them healthy. The most commonly available aquatic turtle, the red eared slider, gets to be about a foot across and needs a 75 gallon tank. The smaller musk turtle could be kept in a 55, but not with those other fish. Last, but not least, any aquatic turtle will eat live fish so the fish you've got in the tank now wouldn't last very long.

Little-Fizz 08-10-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
From those pictures, fish I saw that you hadn't explicitly listed were a powder blue dwarf gourami (this could be your blue fish) and some sort of dark colored catfish (is this the one that looks like a jet?). It was sort of difficult to see that fish in the pictures so properly identifying it is tough. It could be some sort of whiptail cat, possibly.

Batman it looks like an atlantic sturgeon? Do you agree?

heyhi 08-10-2008 03:03 PM

NOW THAT U SAY THAT IT IS A STURGEN I COULDENT REMEMBER,,, IS THIS FISH OK IN MY TANK ITS MY FAV

iamntbatman 08-10-2008 03:04 PM

:shock:

Uh...now that you mention it...that's EXACTLY what it looks like.

Here's a picture:

http://cstc.bc.ca/images/Sturgeon%20...2007%20003.jpg