Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   blue gill (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/blue-gill-16948/)

James 08-09-2008 08:43 PM

blue gill

im from florida and I was just wondering if anybody has ever tried to "aquariate" a blue gill?

Fat_Fender_40 08-09-2008 08:45 PM

I live along the mississippi river and I have a few friends that have blue gills in their aquariums. I would recommend a 75 gallon or bigger for them.

aquakid 08-28-2008 04:03 PM

yep

Deku 08-28-2008 04:05 PM

Re: blue gill

Quote:

Originally Posted by James
im from florida and I was just wondering if anybody has ever tried to "aquariate" a blue gill?

i have a blue gill :3 its temporairly in a 40-50gallon tank but will be moved along with the other fish and my turtle to a 100gallon tank-soon-

iamntbatman 08-28-2008 10:13 PM

I've seen videos of people keeping them in big tanks with Central American cichlids. They say they do just fine at tropical temps, as long as they're acclimated well. Also, if you keep them with store-bought fish, keep in mind that you run the risk of infecting the bluegills with other diseases (as well as infecting the store-bought fish with whatever the bluegill might be carrying). For this reason, it would probably be safest to keep them in their own tank.

From what I've read they make pretty good aquarium residents and have behavior similar to cichlids (their close relatives) so you might get some aggression and they will eat smaller fish.

Deku 08-28-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
I've seen videos of people keeping them in big tanks with Central American cichlids. They say they do just fine at tropical temps, as long as they're acclimated well. Also, if you keep them with store-bought fish, keep in mind that you run the risk of infecting the bluegills with other diseases (as well as infecting the store-bought fish with whatever the bluegill might be carrying). For this reason, it would probably be safest to keep them in their own tank.

From what I've read they make pretty good aquarium residents and have behavior similar to cichlids (their close relatives) so you might get some aggression and they will eat smaller fish.

first off on this i do know alot on blue gill a freshwater(cold water) fish they live in temperatures of 40-65mostly depending on the region you are if your from the south then of course take a thermometer and of course check the temp and put that temp in your fishtank as in adjust it. they will do fine in temps a bit higher but dont over do it and of course you can keep it with other fish even store bought just as long as you check for illness and cure it :3 that is what i do firstly quarantine both fish oh and make sure what species to get as to blue gills can get aggressive so yeah also feed plankton and stuff like that