Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   High pH fish recommendations (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/high-ph-fish-recommendations-169426/)

earthgirl 05-03-2013 09:33 PM

High pH fish recommendations

I live in Indiana where our water is basically rock. My pH is 8.2. I'm currently cycling a 29 gal with 3 small live plants and 5 Red Eye Tetras. I got the tetras without considering the pH.

Looking ahead, I would like to add Corys after the tank has cycled but read that they can be persnickety about parameters.

What fish can tolerate high pH? I would prefer not to add chemicals to bring the pH down and rather find fish that can tolerate it.

Chesh 05-04-2013 07:59 AM

Adding fish best suited to the water you have is the best way to go! You could look into the Livebearers - Mollies, Platy, Guppies, Endler's. . . it sounds like your water might work very well with some of the Rift Valley cichlids. My water is sooooooft, so I won't be of much help to you here, hopefully someone will be by soon with more experience in this! Good luck with your setup!

JDM 05-05-2013 09:47 AM

What is your water hardness, pH aside, you may have posted this elsewhere but is can't recall.

Pepper corys are good up to 15dGH, can't recall the pH offhand. Emerld catfish are good up to 20dGH and they are basically corys, but not quite.

Jeff

earthgirl 05-05-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1970354)
What is your water hardness, pH aside, you may have posted this elsewhere but is can't recall.

I am having trouble finding that out. I wasn't able to find it online for my municipality. I have OLD tests for it - API used to include GH and KH tests in their Master Kit - but no instructions on how to do the tests.

JDM 05-05-2013 12:22 PM

They are a drop count. Add one drop and the water turns one colour then keep adding one drop at a time until it changes again. I'm on my phone so I won't look for it but you can find the instructions online. I can't imagine that an old test will be too far off in results.

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device

earthgirl 05-06-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1971730)
They are a drop count. Add one drop and the water turns one colour then keep adding one drop at a time until it changes again. I'm on my phone so I won't look for it but you can find the instructions online. I can't imagine that an old test will be too far off in results.

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device

I was able to find instructions on another fish forum. Apparently you have to email API and a couple of folks said they hadn't had success with that and someone within the forum was able to produce instructions.

So I did the tests.

KH = 9
GH = inconclusive. I stopped adding drops at 45 and it still hadn't changed from orange to blue! So I figure either the test is defective b/c it's old, or my water is really hard. The instructions do not include any kind of "scale" so I don't know if 45+ is a possible reading. As I mentioned above, I know we have very hard water here.

So what do you think? To refresh your memory, my pH is 8.2 and I am looking for suitable fish to go with my Red Eye Tetras in my 29 gal. Thank you.

MoneyMitch 05-06-2013 08:53 PM

African Cichlids

earthgirl 05-06-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1984602)
African Cichlids

I had posted in a different thread before starting the tank about African cichlids in a community tank and got somewhat contradictory responses ...I just want to verify you saw the part about Red Eyes in there too. :-?

MoneyMitch 05-06-2013 09:06 PM

Not that I recall
Posted via Mobile Device

earthgirl 05-06-2013 09:13 PM

I meant, do you think the Africans are ok with the Red Eyes?