Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Platys white masses fins, mouths, and eyes (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/platys-white-masses-fins-mouths-eyes-16932/)

iceprizm 08-08-2008 11:02 PM

Platys white masses fins, mouths, and eyes

I have 2 10gs and a 55g. A couple of days ago something killed all the fry in my 10g. The fry had white masses all over them most notably covering the eyes. This morning the same thing killed all my adult platy in my other 10g. they were fine the night before, in the morning i saw the same masses. I treated with maracyn but 3 hours later all the fish were dead. Now i am worried that my 55g might get hit next. the 2 10gs i used the same equipment to do wc: gravel vac, hoses, buckets, nets. I have since sterilized all everything i could think of.

1. Does anyone have any idea what wiped out my tanks the stats were?ok:
ph 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
fish prior to death had white masses around mouth, on body, fins, and covering the eyes. fish would still eat but were lathargic.

2. Is it possible to pretreat a tank with maracyn or similiar to avoid problems? Dont seem to have much time between visible symptems and death.
Thanks in advance.[/list]

Little-Fizz 08-09-2008 10:29 AM

Uh oh sound like Columnaris, treat with Maracyn I & II, and do it immediately. This sounds like a really bad case of it. And its spreading to your other fish. Its highly contagious, so make sure there is no cross contamination between tanks!!

jeaninel 08-09-2008 02:40 PM

Did you look in the fish diseases sticky to see if it looks like Columnaris? Here's the link:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9654
You could try Maracyn 1 & 2 but it killed my benefical bacteria when I used it. I had pretty good luck with Furan 2 and it didn't harm my bacteria. Also, make sure you finish the full treatment. You may need to do more than one round of treatment. I had a bout with columnaris awhile back and I had to do 2 full courses with the Furan 2. I only lost one fish and that was because she died before I started treatment. However, I think Columnaris has different strains and various symptoms. Mine showed up as pale patches on the skin that became red and also as fungus on the mouth. Yours might be a more aggressive strain.

I would not treat your other tanks if there are no symptoms in them. Just watch them carefully.

okiemavis 08-09-2008 02:47 PM

It sounds like it is columnaris, although it might also be fish fungus. It makes sense that Maracyn isn't working. Maracyn treats gram-positive bacteria, and columnaris is a gram-negative bacteria.

I'd recommend using kanamycin to treat it. It will also treat fungus if that's what they have. Seachem sells it, it's called "Kanaplex". Make sure you remove the carbon from your filter before beginning treatment.

iceprizm 08-09-2008 03:26 PM

I put furan 2 on my shopping list.
Cant find kanaplex.
I have looked around for different treatments.
The sticky looks pretty close and i will soon own half of those treatments.

I also read some have sucess with doing a Methylene Blue dip for 30 min.
Any idea if this would work.

So far no indicators on my 55g tank.
Hopefully i will never see any, by the time i saw something it was too late. I lowered the temp to 75 just to be sure.

Well like the rule is if i own all the medication for it then i will never get the disease.

thanks for the info.

okiemavis 08-09-2008 03:56 PM

I'm not sure why a meth blue *dip* would help. Meth blue is mostly effective because it blocks out light thereby killing the bacteria/parasite. Meth blue can be overused in the aquarium industry.

You can't find kanaplex? It's made by a pretty common company, but oh well. Furan 2 should be effective. Fungus Clear also has nitrofurazone in it. Maracyn-TC (tetracycline) would be effective as well.

iceprizm 08-09-2008 04:01 PM

"I'm not sure why a meth blue *dip* would help. Meth blue is mostly effective because it blocks out light thereby killing the bacteria/parasite. Meth blue can be overused in the aquarium industry."

I dont know i just read it somewhere.

I have looked on drs.foster&smith and petsmart
and they dont sell kanaplex.
I have no lfs where i live, i have to online everything.
Thanks.[/quote]