Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Brackish Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/)
-   -   Leopard Pufferfish?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/leopard-pufferfish-16917/)

tmz 08-08-2008 09:59 AM

Leopard Pufferfish??

what do you know aobut them?
there's two at the petco near my house and i just love them. i want one XD.

what do you know about them?
they were in freshwater tanks, is that okay?
what would i feed it?
how big of a tank and what tempurature is good?

thanks in advance :D

iamntbatman 08-08-2008 11:12 AM

From what I can tell, "Leopard Puffer" is another term for Green Spotted Puffer. If that's the case, they need brackish water, should be housed by themselves because they can be really aggressive, get about 6" or so and need a diet full of crunchy foods like shrimp and snails.

aunt kymmie 08-08-2008 12:52 PM

What would be the minimum size tank you should keep a sole puffer in?
Interesting fish and I'm thinking of getting one....
Which type puffer? Or does it matter?

iamntbatman 08-08-2008 01:06 PM

Puffers range in size from the 1" dwarf puffer to the three foot Mbu puffer, so the tank size really depends on which species you want to keep. For a single green spotted puffer, I think 29g would be a minimum, but even then you'd need hefty filtration as they're messy eaters.

tmz 08-08-2008 10:28 PM

D= oh man.
guess im gonna have to pass on the little guy if i need a tank that big XD

whats brackish water?

iamntbatman 08-08-2008 10:49 PM

Brackish water is water with some marine salt in it, ranging anywhere from just slightly salty to almost full marine salt levels. There aren't many commonly kept aquarium fish that live in brackish water, but some examples are green spotted puffers, scats, monos, archers, and many gobies.

tmz 08-08-2008 11:24 PM

ah i see.
what do you think is the right amount of salt?

iamntbatman 08-09-2008 12:01 AM

It depends on exactly what fish you're keeping. Also, green spotted puffers usually like less salt when they're young and eventually almost full marine when they're full grown. I read somewhere that 1.005 is good for young ones, but eventually you will need as high as 1.018 (some say even more). This is marine salt mix, not regular aquarium salt.

okiemavis 08-09-2008 09:23 AM

Batman's right. In the wild they're born in freshwater and slowly make their way down river as they grow up into saltier water. When batman says 1.005 he means specific gravity or SG. It's what is used to measure how salty water is. Regular salt (or "aquarium salt") isn't the right stuff for making your water ocean-y, you can buy the proper stuff in the marine section of your LFS, I buy something called Instant Ocean.

tmz 08-09-2008 10:48 AM

oh cool. they're kinda like salmon?
in my six grade science class my teacher had asalt water tank with instant ocean.

how do you measure the sg?
and how would i judge when to add more?

by the way, thanks so much for answering my huge amount of questions =D