Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Two Mollies Dies in within a week (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/two-mollies-dies-within-week-16912/)

inspiringmind 08-07-2008 11:42 PM

Two Mollies Dies in within a week

About 3 weeks ago I got two Mollies. About a week ago the orange one died. Now yesterday, the white one died. There was nothing odd looking about them. (I mean, it didn't look like any kind of disease.) In the 10 gallon tank I have a Male Betta and two bottom feeders. I think I got all the snails out cause I have not seen any for the last two weeks. But I am sad about the Mollies. I guess I will wait to put something new in the tank, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why they died, but the other 3 are fine.

onefish2fish 08-08-2008 12:08 AM

how long has this tank been up and running? do you have a test kit? what are your water conditions?
i can take a wild stab by saying they werent either fully acclimated to their new enviroment, the tank has not completly cycled and couldnt handle the increase in the bio load or your beta got territorial and didnt give a warm welcome to the new tank mates.
then again it could be a million things, adding you tanks water parameters could only help to cracking down the problem.

inspiringmind 08-08-2008 12:47 AM

About 2 months. No test kits. I use water that has been ran through a PUR filter (It gets rid of the chlorine and stuff.) I add new water about once a week (Probably about a pint.) The water has always been clear, never cloudy or any other color for that matter. I did buy the mollies at Wally world, which isn't the best place for fish I am guessing.

onefish2fish 08-08-2008 01:41 AM

IMHO i dont think walmart is the best place for fish. put it this way, who takes care of them?? whoever is on shift and is walking by?? makes you think how much they know.. i hope you quarenteened the new guys for ATLEAST 1 week, better off 2 to prevent incoming diseases to other fish because im now thinking you purchased already sick fish. keep a close eye on how your current fish are acting over the next few days/weeks - specifically at feeding time and see if any arent eating, if any stay in a corner by themselves, stay on the bottom, difficulty swimming, their fins stay clamped closed, damaged fins, white spots, red spots, damaged scales,white stringy poo, flashing (basically scraping) against rocks/objects in the tank - these DO NOT always mean you have a sick fish but are common signs of sickness and should be looked for.

girlofgod 08-08-2008 02:18 AM

you need to get a test kit (preferably liquid, as they are more accurate, but the test strips would work better than nothing) and test your water!! there is no way to tell what killed your fish without knowing what your water parameters are. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph. these are important. if you don't purchase a test kit, most local pet stores that sell fish will test the water for you.

i agree with the statement that you should not buy fish from wal-mart. 90% of the time the animals are NOT cared for, and are sick due to poor tank conditions.

how long have the other fish been in your tank?

i haven't kept bettas in a while, but I've always been told never to keep male bettas in a community tank. they are pretty aggressive and territorial, and could have been attacking your other fish and stressed them to death.

inspiringmind 08-08-2008 02:08 PM

I will not buy anymore fish at Wally world. But I will go out and get a test kit to see what all the levels are. The Betta was in the tank the longest, about 6 weeks. The two bottom feeders were bought at the same time as the two Mollies. The Betta seemed to try to get the Mollies only if they got close to them, but he wasn't that aggressive with him. He would chase them for about a 1/4 of a second and stop. I never saw him actually nip.

I will keep an eye out for any pf the signs for sickness posted above. From what I can see they are not showing any of those signs. (The bottom feeders are on the bottom quite a bit, but I see them attach themselves to the sides and on plants and such.)