Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Help me decide on fish to remove? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/help-me-decide-fish-remove-169042/)

Deanna01 05-03-2013 03:52 PM

Help me decide on fish to remove?

Hi, all. I bought an existing set-up from someone who was moving. This is the tank's current specifications and stock.

Now, I know that the tetras do better with at least six of each other; I am willing to buy more of each (and I will buy another Glo-Fish, which apparently doesn't cause an issue with the bigger fish). However, even though all the denizens are currently getting along, I've been warned that they may end up not doing so forever. All the issues AQadvisor has with the tank would be fixed if I removed the various tetras; however, I don't have tanks to put them all in. One group could go into my Fluval Edge 12g with my male betta; one group may be able to go into my daughter's 10g with her male betta. One group will either have to stay in this tank, or I will have to somehow rehome them, or I will have to keep their school small and put them in with another betta in a 5g.

If it helps, I would also like to add a group of cory cats to this tank, once I get this issue sorted. I honestly love the way the tetras look, and they aren't currently causing issues, but I'm trying to be proactive, and I don't want to take the angelfish or albino rainbow shark out of this tank.

jentralala 05-03-2013 09:04 PM

I would advise against mixing tetras with bettas, tetras have teeth and will have a field day on a bettas fins, plus those tanks would be too small to comfortable fit a healthy school of tetras.

Is there a way you could give them to a store for free or in exchange for credit?

Deanna01 05-04-2013 06:06 AM

AQadvisor seems pretty conservative in its recommendations, and it doesn't note problems for me in having a small six-fish neon tetra school in with a male betta in even the 10-gallon tank, though it does say I should watch my betta for possible aggression toward the tetras.

jaysee 05-04-2013 07:45 AM

I've mixed a variety of tetras with bettas without any problems, but that was in a much larger tank than 10 gallons. I wouldn't try in less than a 20.

The biggest issue I see is the shark, which will only get more aggressive and more territorial as it grows. You might not be having any problems now, and that's great, but there may come a day when you wake up to turmoil. Just a heads up.

Some say angels need to be in a group, some say they don't. You can research and form your own opinion. I don't have the experience with them to comment one way or another - I just know that there are fish keepers that I respect in each corner.

Byron 05-04-2013 06:49 PM

Thinking solely of the 46g (36 inch length) tank, regardless of the others, I would remove the two Flying Fox as the most likely "trouble" down the road.

While I would want a 4-foot tank for the Rainbow Shark, leave it, and hopefully it will not be too "normal." But that puts an end to any other substrate fish (i.e., corys, no). The Bristlenose Pleco is something to watch, the Shark may or may not take exception later if not now.

The angelfish is best as is; adding other fish even in more space is risky. But I would get the Black Widow Tetra out or there may be trouble. They do like to nip especially if stressed. Then you can increase the other tetra. I know, linear tetra are not good with angelfish, and I would certainly never do this. But as you have all these now and don't want to part with some of them, you have no choice.

Individual fish can exhibit un-natural behaviours, sometimes due to stress, sometimes for reasons we don't know.:dunno: When setting up a tank from scratch, we are wise to assume the norm for the species; but when one "inherits" (so to speak) a combination, it is sometimes best to leave it and see. Just be aware that sudden issues may appear, and be ready to intervene. I would certainly not move any of the tetra in with a Betta, that is too much of a risk; Betta are not community fish, and the problems are double-edged.

Byron.

Deanna01 05-05-2013 06:44 AM

Thank you! I'll keep a watchful eye on things for now, and see how they develop. Of all the fish, I actually like the Flying Fox the least, but I have only a PetCo in town, so short of putting them on Craigslist, I'm not sure what I could do with them.

Deanna01 05-07-2013 06:31 AM

I was looking more closely at the profile for the Flying Fox, and my fish have clear fins. So apparently they are Crossocheilus langei? I was told there were two Flying Fox as well as two Crossocheilus siamensis, but perhaps the latter were the two who perished in the move.

Deanna01 05-07-2013 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am making the drive out to That Fish Place in Lancaster today and will ask them if the fish I have are Siamensis or Langei. (I have pictures and edited to add one here, so hopefully that will help.) They clearly are not Flying Fox, so I am mistaken in that.

I am just at a loss as to what to do with the tank. None of the four varieties of tetras can be happy with the small numbers they have; if these two are Langei rather than Siamensis, they must be unhappy as well. I am at my stocking limit and so can't really buy more fish. I clearly need to rehome something. :-/

jaysee 05-07-2013 09:15 AM

Yeah, it can be difficult to determine what direction to take when you inherit fish with a tank.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Byron 05-07-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanna01 (Post 1987097)
I am making the drive out to That Fish Place in Lancaster today and will ask them if the fish I have are Siamensis or Langei. (I have pictures and edited to add one here, so hopefully that will help.) They clearly are not Flying Fox, so I am mistaken in that.

I am just at a loss as to what to do with the tank. None of the four varieties of tetras can be happy with the small numbers they have; if these two are Langei rather than Siamensis, they must be unhappy as well. I am at my stocking limit and so can't really buy more fish. I clearly need to rehome something. :-/

I would suggest that this fish in the photo is the true "Siamese Algae Eater" as the hobby knows it, Crossocheilus langei being the species encountered in the hobby as the SAE. The dark horizontal stripe extends into the caudal fin, and the other fins are clear.

As noted in the profile, C. langei is the probable species, since the holotype of C. siamensis [holotype meaning the actual collected fish used by the original describer of the species] is the only specimen known for that species.

Byron.