Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   tank weight (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tank-weight-16893/)

SinCrisis 08-07-2008 12:25 PM

tank weight

I have a 20 gallon tank and i was wondering how much weight can a tank normally hold? I want to add a few large rocks to it but I'm afraid the tank may not be strong enough. The tank bottom is glass and the tank is roughly 12 years old already. Thanks

Kim 08-07-2008 02:02 PM

Well, I think that the tank should be fine, and it all really depends on your stand. If the tank is on a flat stand, the amount of weight it holds would would be transferred down to the stand, not to the sides where it could break. A tank can only hold a certain volume of water, and no matter what you put in there, the pressure from that amount of water on the sides would be the same. The exception to this rule would be if the tank were on uneven ground, or the bottom of the tank were uneven (raised edges etc.) If that were the case, to put something in there that weighs more than an equal volume of water, would increase the weight and put more stress on pressure points, making the tank more prone to break. In most normal situations though, I would be more worried about the stand than the tank. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I believe it to work.

Tyyrlym 08-07-2008 02:08 PM

Unless there are visible defects in the glass you should be fine. There's little chance you could actually cause a well made aquarium to fail just by putting in the usual fish goods.

That said a 20 gallon tank isn't that big. If you're worried about it you can go buy yourself a new one for relatively cheap.

mikedelo 08-07-2008 02:46 PM

re tank weight

as long as you have a strong stand you will have no problem.

i would think weight comes more of an issue if you were putting a 150 gallon tank on the 3rd floor of a house.

20lbs of rock, water, substrate, fish, equipment, etc you should have no issues.

Michael

SinCrisis 08-07-2008 03:18 PM

well im a little worried because the bottom of this tank acutally is reinforced with plastic at the sides but that ends up elevating the bottom glass above the bottom of the stand so there's space between the bottom glass and the flat surface of my stand.

iamntbatman 08-07-2008 04:45 PM

You should still be fine. As long as you place the rocks in the tank gently, you should have no problems.

SinCrisis 08-07-2008 06:47 PM

thx for the help

okiemavis 08-08-2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

well im a little worried because the bottom of this tank acutally is reinforced with plastic at the sides but that ends up elevating the bottom glass above the bottom of the stand so there's space between the bottom glass and the flat surface of my stand.
That's how it's supposed to be If the glass bottom were resting right on top of something any variations in the surface could cause more pressure in some areas more than others, which could cause it to break. Don't worry, the rocks will be just fine :)