Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Best Plant For Breeding Tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/best-plant-breeding-tank-16869/)

Cutmore 08-06-2008 06:18 PM

Best Plant For Breeding Tank?

Hello Everyone.

Im not sure if this should go in the plants section or the breeding or what, i supose it applys to either.

Anyway, I am quite new to breeding, but I have a nice tank ready to set up. I have read in alot of posts that floating plants are good to help fry to survive.
But I have not seen one of these posts mention what plant is good to use. Can anyone please tell me a plant to use?

Thanks for reading.
P.S I am new to this Forum so this may have been answered but i have looked though a few pages...

beweeb 08-06-2008 08:00 PM

mosses are good for fry and hornwart and cobomba

Cutmore 08-06-2008 08:06 PM

Thanks.

I will look out for that when i go to my LPC tomorrow.

I will look into it abit more in internet, i just need a guide line of what i need. The internet is confusing when you are clueless :lol:

Kim 08-06-2008 08:30 PM

I have some java moss. Not sure how well it is going to root as of yet. I have heard that it can form a carpet over the bottom of the aquarium, as well as be floated on top. Both uses would be good for fry though.

I would think anything that is dense and has small leaves would work well too.

Marcelo Borges 08-06-2008 09:55 PM

I don't know

hugs

Visit My blog

herefishy 08-07-2008 02:19 AM

Java moss, Christmas moss, Taiwan moss, star grass, najas guadalupensis, dwarf baby tears.......

onefish2fish 08-07-2008 03:03 AM

a few larger rocks can also work well with fry.
:!: if you plan on using rocks found from outside, first put it into a container with vinegar, if you see bubbles then this is best kept as a "pet rock" :lol: and kept away from your aquarium.
:!: i would NOT suggest boiling rocks to clean them, they can EXPLODE :blueshake: due to water and air trapped inside them. (there was a sticky thread on here somewhere actually)
:!: you can use an old toothbrush with just water to scrub them and then soak them for a few days in a seperate container or use a 1:20 bleach/water mixture to scrub and soak your rocks in, just rinse them thoroughly and possibly soak in clean water for a day or 2 (this is probally the better solution for removing bacteria and whatevers on your rocks)
:!: NEVER USE SOAP TO CLEAN A ROCK! (residue will be left and leach into your water, killing your livestock)
:!: if you are using store bought aquarium rocks, id personally use some sort of cleaning method for these as well, ATLEAST do a thorough rinse.
:arrow: The way a few large rocks piled together is simple - it creates holes small enough for fry to get in and out but not big enough for adult fish to be welcome
(hope someone finds this somewhat useful :hmm: ENJOY!)

fishkid 08-16-2008 09:13 AM

Java moss is useful for mantaining minimal nitrates, and hiding fry. Cabomba and hornwort are good. Riccia is a good floating plant for betta breeding.

fish_4_all 08-17-2008 11:54 AM

Riccia or red root floater for a floaitng plant.
Pearl weed for a bottom plant. It grows really thick and can hide a ton of fry. It was also easy to grow for me where mosses can be harder to keep looking good and healthy.

Marbles on the bottom in a 3-4 layers will hide more fry than you may want to survive but is still an option and makes cleaning a breeze. Just watch out not to suck up the fry.

Cutmore 08-17-2008 12:13 PM

Thanks for the replys, Im just going to have to see what I can get my hands on. I have noticed that im my local area there is not much choice of plant. They all seem to be the same, nothing exotic or rare.