Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Am I overstocked??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/am-i-overstocked-16862/)

Trish 08-06-2008 12:41 PM

Am I overstocked???

Hey there... Haven't been here for a long while!

I have a 20gallon long tank.

Currently, these are the inhabitants.

5 Cardinal Tetras
6 Zebra Danios
3 Sunset Platys
2 Dwarf Gourami's
1 Bristlenose Catfish

I got three of the danios, the gourami's and the catfish last night... All of the others have been in the tank for several months.

Is that too many for one tank? I have a 5gallon that I could set up if someone needs to move out...

Thanks!

Pasfur 08-06-2008 12:45 PM

I think your stocking level is ok, from the standpoint of the biological filter and aquarium maintainance.

You may find, however, that your Gourami's begin to develop some aggression in these tight quarters. If this happens, then I would suggest removing the Gourami's and keeping the other fish. I personally prefer to keep Dwarf Gourami's in a species setup, or in a much larger community display. Simply because they tend to become territorial as they mature.

Trish 08-06-2008 12:48 PM

Okay, great. Could a gourami live by itself in a 5gallon?

Pasfur 08-06-2008 06:25 PM

Trish, in the hands of a very advance fishkeeper, a pair of dwarf gourami's would probably be fine in a 5 gallon aquarium. But i am not at all comfortable recommending such. A 10 gallon would be much more acceptable.

Little-Fizz 08-06-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur
Trish, in the hands of a very advance fishkeeper, a pair of dwarf gourami's would probably be fine in a 5 gallon aquarium. But i am not at all comfortable recommending such. A 10 gallon would be much more acceptable.

I agree, a dwarf gourami would maybe be happy living in a 5 gallon, by itself. But two will require at least a ten gallon.

Trish 08-06-2008 09:03 PM

I getcha! If they are going to be aggressive in a 20g tank, I don't imagine two of them would get along so well in a 5gallon!

So far they are all okay... The powder blue is a bit sluggish, but s/he seems to be coming around.

I may get a betta and use the 5gallon for him...

Golly.. I think MTS is getting to me!

Little-Fizz 08-06-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trish
I may get a betta and use the 5gallon for him...

Golly.. I think MTS is getting to me!

Lol MTS hits fast and hard... :? I have four tanks now and i'm thinking about buying more... But I have honestly ran out of places to put them all.

Yayyy Bettas are cool :D

Your gouramis wouldn't necessarily be aggressive. You'll just have to watch out for signs of it.

iamntbatman 08-06-2008 09:38 PM

If the two dwarf gouramis become aggressive toward one another, I think it would be fine to move one of them to a 5g by himself. Otherwise, your stocking list seems just fine. The only other possible problem you might run into is if you've got different sexes of platies, they'll eventually start reproducing and might overrun your tank since you haven't got any fish in there that will be really gung-ho about eating the platy fry.

Pasfur 08-07-2008 06:22 AM

It is important to mention that Dwarf Gourami species generally do not live well on a diet of flake foods. Make sure you are feeding a daily feeding of frozen or freeze dried foods, such as brine shrimp, tubifex, or bloodworms.

Trish 08-07-2008 09:51 AM

Pasfur- Right now they are getting flakes and Plankton... I'll pick up bloodworms soon though.

One question about the platies- Is it terrible to have 2 male and one female??? I just found out that that is what I have.. One of the males is very small and actually skinny in comparison to the other 2... What should I do about him?