Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Anyone familor with growth of Pacu's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/anyone-familor-growth-pacus-16858/)

Jo 08-06-2008 11:00 AM

Anyone familor with growth of Pacu's

My Pacu named Paco is 8 months old and already 15 ins long.
I'm aware they live as long as 30 yrs old and grow huge, ofcoarse I was'nt when I bought him.
I was told that once they reach adult hood thier growth slows down,
My husband tried to find a home for him in a large tank or indoor pond, but have had no luck. So am going to upgrade to a 300gal tank.
My concern is how many years will that 300 gal be suitable for him?

He's a red belly Pacu, I believe thier the smaller species.

Pasfur 08-06-2008 12:49 PM

Pacu will get very large, depending on the exact species. A 300 gallon is a large aquarium, and you should be able to keep him alive for many years in such a tank. However, you will not see any of the natural behaviors that make fishkeeping so enjoyable.

It seems a waste of 300 gallons to keep Pacu. You could have an amazing community, especially if you were to do a natural display, such as an amazon exhibit full of native species of small schooling fish and plants. An Asian setup is also breathtaking, with large schools of various Barbs that normally do not fit into a smaller display. Have you ever seen adult Clown Barbs in a school?

Flashygrrl 08-06-2008 03:39 PM

It might be a waste, but the fish is already there. Any suggestions on where else would he go?

Jo 08-06-2008 03:45 PM

I know its very sad for these Pacu's, they should'nt sell these type of fish in the stores. I don't know what people do with them when they can no longer upgrade their tanks. But we have got attached to him now.
He does'nt eat my other fish right now, he shares the tank with 2 sharks, 2 placo's, 3 rosey barbs, 2 picktus, 3 disks, a knife fish, 5 longfinned tetra's and 5 tigerbalms. Oh and a dozen neon size fish.
I don't know when i transfer tanks if i should keep them all together in the new one. The only one he chases is my 6 yr old disk, but she still hangs out by his side. Its a very interesting tank just now.

Does your friend have other fish in with their Pacu?
How old is there one?

Pasfur 08-06-2008 04:48 PM

My friend had 3 Pacu's, about the size of your computer monitor. I have no idea how old they were at the time, but they started out less than the size of your hand and grew that large within 6 months in a 220 gallon, at which point he transferred them to a 400.

tophat665 08-06-2008 07:50 PM

With one Pacu, 300 should work for quite some time. However, If I were seriously considering getting pacu, I would want at least 3, at which point 300 is just not going to cut it. Have you thought about building a DIY plywood and glass tank? you could put together a 400 to 600 gallon one with relative ease. 72 to 96" long, 36 to 48" front to back, and 30 to 36" tall. If you use a whole sheet of plywood for the bottom, you could get a 675 gallon tank, basically an indoor pond with a viewing window.

Lots of info out there if you want to go that route. Google DIY Plywood Aquarium and read everything you find before starting.