Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   what can i put in tank with 2x 11" oscars? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/what-can-i-put-tank-2x-16845/)

unlimitedx 08-06-2008 12:20 AM

what can i put in tank with 2x 11" oscars?

at petsmart there are silver dollars that are 2.5 inches, and tinfoil barbs that are 4 inches.

girlofgod 08-06-2008 12:28 AM

thats a pretty expensive dinner you are going to feed those oscars, why not just buy feeder fish if you want to watch a show? they are much cheaper!! LOL :D

what size is the tank for starters?

unlimitedx 08-06-2008 12:38 AM

200 u.s. gallons

Mustang Boy 08-06-2008 11:27 AM

food those are pretty much the only fish you can put in there with them

iamntbatman 08-06-2008 11:06 PM

The tinfoils prefer to be a group and since they eventually to be just as big as your oscars, I don't think they'd be a good choice. The silver dollars also prefer a group but they stay smaller (around 6" or so max) so that might be a good option. Just make sure they're much larger than your oscars' mouths and be prepared to return them to the store in the event that your oscars don't like their company. Silver dollars aren't aggressive fish though, so you should be ok. Keep in mind silver dollars are herbivorous fish and they need a good spirulina-based food and veggie supplements. They'll also eat your live plants, but that shouldn't be an issue since you likely don't have much in the way of live plants with your oscars in the first place.

unlimitedx 08-07-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

does that mean I can't just feed pellets made for cichlids?
Not as a staple for the silver dollars, nope. Fresh veggies will really help, as the silver dollars will mow through them and the oscars will most likely leave them alone, as oscars are mostly carnivorous.

redpaulhus 08-08-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimitedx
does that mean I can't just feed pellets made for cichlids?

If you mean can you avoid feeding "feeders" - YES !

If you mean are pellets enough by themselves - not really.

I feed my oscar earthworms and crickets (both live), shrimp and scallops (both human grade seafood), krill and formula one cubes (both thawed from frozen), freeze dried krill (soaked in vitamins), plus pellets and food sticks.
Occasionally I'll toss in squid (calamari), small pieces of raw codfish, clam, etc.

As far as tankmates - I'd go with the silver dollars.
Personally - I've also had luck with giant danios and adult "aussie" rainbows, but my oscar is pretty mellow and lazy - he doesn't eat smaller tankmates, its too much work :) I've got SAE's, a flying fox, a red-tail shark, a gold gourami, and other fish in my tank that could easily fit in Blondie's mouth - and some of them have been in this tank with Blondie over 2 years.

I recently tossed some cichlid "culls" in this tank, thinking that the asian sun cats in the tank would eat them - the little 1" fish are still swimming around the tank 2 weeks later...

On the other hand - I've seen oscars that were raised on feeders, really loved chasing fish, and would eat tankmates so big that the tails of their prey would hang out of their mouth... so your milage may vary...