Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   3 New Corys (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/3-new-corys-16826/)

Kim 08-05-2008 02:26 PM

3 New Corys

Yay, my new 15 gallon tank just got its first inhabitants today. I cycled it using the fishless cycle method, but am still playing it safe when it comes to adding fish, so I just got 3 to start.

So, today I went to Pet Quarters and got 3 cory cats. Sadly, I learned that they were getting rid of the live fish department :cry: . I actually liked that place :shock: ! The person there was actually knowlegeable about fish. So now I have to find another place when the time comes to get some more corys. I plan on having 6 of them along with my male betta in the tank.

The 3 that I got today were all the same type. Should I not be able to find any others like them, will they still school with other types of corys?

Also, I got them some sinking shrimp pellets as a staple. Is there any other food that they would benifit from? They will probably not get any leftovers from my betta because I feed him one flake/bloodworm (on the days that he gets these) at a time. Otherwise he just kind of looks at me like "where's my food" if it is not right in front of him :shock: . Silly fish!

Well, they seem to be doing well. My pH is at 7.6 so I wanted to make sure I acclimated them slowly. I floated the bag for 15 minutes, then placed them and their water in a clean pot. I then drip acclimated them for another hour. Now they are in the tank with the lights out. They seem to be doing good and are exploring and shuffling around in the gravel. I plan on giving them their first meal tonight.

So, I just wanted to share the good news. I am liking them already. They are quite cute following eachother around :lol: !

frogman6 08-05-2008 03:15 PM

I greatly appreciate you not jumping into everything and actually cycling the tank which many people do not do :evil: As for them schooling with other corys they may or not i have where both happened but im not sure if yours will wat kind of corys did u get and yeh shrimp pellets are great for corys

qpc68 08-05-2008 03:24 PM

I have 2 Panda's, 2 Bronze, and 2 Spotted. They school together and they go off in pairs. Despite all the "Blasphemy!" rants I've endured, my cory's do great together.

PDXfishy 08-05-2008 03:32 PM

Not that they have much of a choice...;) frogman is right though, it may or may not work. Many cories live in entirely different habitats and have different behavioral patterns. Then again, many cories share a lot of traits and make friends with their strange-looking tankbuddies.

okiemavis 08-05-2008 07:37 PM

I have a variety of different cories and generally the ones who look most alike will school together. My schwartz will school with some very similar wild types I got him, but he won't school with the aeneus or peppered cories.

I'm guessing the tank raised ones are probably more willing to school with different types of cories.

iamntbatman 08-05-2008 10:13 PM

Aside from the shrimp pellets, my cories also enjoy frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, any flake that hits the floor, algae wafers broken up into small pieces and Wardley sinking tropical crumbles.

Kim 08-06-2008 10:42 AM

Thanks for the info everyone :) . I am definitely going to try to get more of the same type when I get them. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out which type they are! I have checked the internet, and can't find any matches. They are tan in color, with a darker brownish area on their heads. I'll try to post pics. today.

Anyway, they are all doing well. I fed them last night and this morning, and they ate it all. I have to replace my light bulb on the tank, so I will try and pick up some frozen food for them as well.

I really like the little guys already! They school together, chase eachother, and eat together. It is really cute to watch them. I think that they are enjoying their new substrate (they were on gravel in the pet store), all the plants to swim around, and they seem to like the driftwood as well.

I felt bad for the one lone cory left at the pet store. He was an albino one, but I really only wanted 3 and of the same species. The department is closing down, and they are just waiting for all the fish to be sold, so he will be all by himself until he sells :( .

Thanks.

MegK 08-06-2008 10:55 AM

i had a nice group but i hate buying replacements when they die off, so i switched pet stores but still only have 3 cories. 2 peps and one bronze. and the peps love the bronze :)