Tropical Fish Keeping banner

New lights

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  SKAustin 
#1 ·
Ok I went to my local pet shop today. They reccomend me getting the Sundial T5 lights for my tank. They wanted 275 bucks plus tax for the 24 inch model. Marine Depot has it for 243 with free shipping for the 30 inch model. My tanks is 30 inch wide so this one fits pretty good. I will have to make a new top. Let me know what you guys think. I know with this light I can not get every kind of coral but should be ok with some types. My tank is 36 gallons and a 20 gallon sump. Here is the link.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewItem~idProduct~CU01151~&&tab~0.html

I found the 24" at Marine and Reef for 191 bucks. Would it be enough light.

#2 ·
probably better off with something like this

It's a little longer than you need, but it's twice the total wattage. the other lights may be enough, but it's really pushing the lower limits of acceptable. Even the 30" PC units, at 130 total watts, are barely acceptable. That would be less than 4 watts/gallon. Since the tank is 30", I'm going to guess that it's pretty deep? maybe about 20"? thats a lot of water for that tiny little light to have to penetrate.

#5 ·
Re: 24"

papap said:
How about the 24" model. Same bulb but small fram.
Im not so sure you'll be able to gain the extra needed to make the mounting brackets fit. If your considering a hanging mount for the lights, then the 24" model would probably work for you, though you lose out on the extra LEDs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.