Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   salinity in FW tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/salinity-fw-tank-1680/)

weaselnoze 12-05-2006 11:21 PM

salinity in FW tank

my aquarium salt bottle says 1 tablespoon per 10 gal. i've been confused with the whole water change and adding salt deal. so here is what i've figured out. i need to know if my method for adding salt is right. i start out with 1 table spoon in my 10 gal. thats 100% of the dosage. i did a 30% WC. now the concentration is 70%. then i did another 25% water change. so (.25) x (.7) = (.175). (.7)-(.175)=(.525)= 52.5% of my original dosage. then i did another 25% WC. so (.525)x(.25)=(.131). (.525)-(.131)=(.394)= 39.4% of my original dosage. then i did ANOTHER 25% WC. this is getting old.. so (.394)x(.25)=(.099). (.394)-(.099)=(.295)= 29.5% of my original dosage. so im left with 29.5% of the original 1 tablespoon of salt added to the tank. that means i need to add roughly 70% of a tablespoon of salt.

first off, is this method correct in determining the amount of salt i need? keep in mind i added no salt after all these water changes. i would now like to replace the salt i took.

secondly, am i a complete moron for wasting all that time figuring this out? how do you guys keep track of your salt content??? after a while of not being exact, the salt content must get screwed up eventually resulting in buying an expensive salinity test kit.

jones57742 12-05-2006 11:55 PM

weaselnoze:

You have (perhaps unknowingly) just stepped foot into an ongoing [raging?] debate in the hobby.

1) Many hobbyists believe that a minimal doseage of salt wil help with pathogen control.

2) The remaider (who have an opinion) say that 1) above is BS and that salt should only be used for ich "fighting".

While I am mostly in the 1) camp IMHO your "maintenance concentration" of 1Tblspn/10G is "way to much".

When I reentered the hobby after 35 years (about 8 months ago) I maintained a 1Tblspn/20G "maintenance concentration".

After reading additional literature and reviewing various threads I ceased this practice.

Within a month several guppies had died and I was "fighting ich" on my large black angel.

My current protocol is to at approximate monthly intervals dose with 1Tblspn/20G and maintain the concentration for several days.

The concentration is then decreased via ordinary WC's.

I hope this post helps as it is the "best of my 'thinkin'" concerning this issue.

TR

Lupin 12-05-2006 11:58 PM

Weasel, I can't say how much I am impressed by your strong will to research a lot.:thumbsup: Definitely impressive.:welldone:

Good luck on this one.:)

weaselnoze 12-06-2006 12:15 AM

haha thanks :lol:. i've had countless kinds of animals growing up. many of them being fish of all sorts. i had taken a break from all that when i hit my teenage years (girls were more important) however i recently jumped back into the world of aquariums. i now understand the importance of doing it the right way so im trying my HARDEST to do so. i didnt realize it was gonna cost me so much money lol!

ok so back on topic here. 1 tblspn/ 10 gal is what the bottle recommends. you think i should disregard? my gobies wouldnt like that a whole lot however i have other fish too.

JouteiMike 12-06-2006 12:20 AM

I could go on and on about the pros and cons of using salt.

Personally, I don't use salt on my freshwater tank.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article22.html
I think this article is a great read about salt.

jones57742 12-06-2006 12:22 AM

Re: salinity in FW tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by weaselnoze
first off, is this method correct in determining the amount of salt i need?

secondly, am i a complete moron for wasting all that time figuring this out? how do you guys keep track of your salt content???

WN:

Please excuse me - In a previous post I was addressing an issue about which you were not asking!

I believe so.
A sample table is set forth at the end of this post.

I hope not as your method is my method also.

Water ~ Remaining
Change ~ Concentration
25% ~ 75.00%
25% ~ 56.25%
25% ~ 42.19%
25% ~ 31.64%
25% ~ 23.73%
30% ~ 16.61%
40% ~ 9.97%
50% ~ 4.98%

weaselnoze 12-06-2006 12:27 AM

waaaaaaaaa ok its midnight and im starting to not be able to read or write the english language. i'm gonna take a snoozer and catch some ZZZZs. be back tomorrow evening.

crazie.eddie 12-06-2006 03:55 AM

Why not make things simple and just add the salt for the amount of water removed? For example, if you have a 10 gallon tank and removed 2 gallons, why not add the salt for 2 gallons.

Just make sure you do not add salt directly into the tank. Just dissolve the salt in water first, then slowly pour the solution in your tank over along period of time.

weaselnoze 12-07-2006 12:19 AM

my neons and tiger barbs have been lookin better and better everyday. could this be because of the lack of salt? could salt make them act mopy?

crazie.eddie 12-07-2006 01:59 AM

Salt is supposed to promote the slime coat in fish.

After some research, I added salt in my tanks for over a year. I noticed no difference in health or activity with the salt. I actually overdosed my tank with salt, which included angelfish, clownloaches, dwarf gouramis, L-18 plecos, neon tetras. When I did a WC on my 55 gallon, I would remove about 20 gallons of water, I would add salt for 55 gallons. I would do this at every WC, until I noticed that I was adding too much salt. As I mentioned, I noticed no difference in health or activity even with the over dosed salt.

I eventually stopped, since the salt was getting rather expensive to be continuously used.