Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   African Chiclids? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/african-chiclids-16783/)

newgirl40 08-04-2008 05:28 AM

African Chiclids?

Hi, I have a 55 gallon tank, that has mollies, tetras, platys, and I wanted to remove them and add just African Chiclids.

First off, how big can they get, and how many could I put in a 55?

And are there any tank mates should I decide to add different fish?

I just always wanted Chiclids, but I don't know where to start...

Thanks, Connie

1077 08-04-2008 05:51 AM

many of the African cichlids grow to eight to twelve inches which would limit the number you could put in 55gal. They are also more aggressive than most , Were it me I might consider Dwarf cichlids. You can google for info on dwarf cichlids . It is always wise to learn all you can on the particular fish you are interested in BEFORE you purchase them. You will want to know what size they are capable of reaching, what foods they require to remain healthy , what water temperatures along with PH they are most comfortable in and what tankmates if any can be kept with them. There are many websites that offer this info and more. Do not visit just one try and get all the info you can find.IMHO you will need a much larger tank than 55 gal for african cichlids unless you are wanting only one or two specimens. They are also very territorial. :wink:

Budezad 08-13-2008 05:50 PM

I think you don't add african chiclids in your aquarium because it is very small for african chiclids maybe you can add some kind of american chiclid in it. For example chiclasoma nigrafasciatum. ıt is very appropriate for your aquarium.

Ziek 08-13-2008 11:20 PM

If you really want to do Africans a 55 would work but it really depends on which lake. If yo want to go with Malawi (has a lot of color) then you will probably find yourself limited to a single or just a couple species. Another option would be African Cichlids from Tanganyika. A lot of the shell dwellers only get 2-3 inches and there are some fairly interesting mid swimmers.

Shell Dweller examples:
Neolamprologus ocellatus
Neolamprologus brevis

Mid Swimmers:
Julidochromis regani (there are many julidochromis, regani is just one of the more colorful ones)

These are just some examples, there are many others. As stated above dwarf cichlids would also fit very nicely into your tank. If you find yourself having a hard time deciding test your source water prior to setting up the tank. If you have naturally hard water with a high pH try Africans. If the pH is more around 7.0 try the dwarf cichlids. There are some beautiful species of Pelvicachromis (just another example).

Budezad 08-14-2008 05:07 AM

I am very sorry. I didn' now gallon. I guessed it is as same as Litre, but 3,8 litre=1 gallon. So you can add all of of kinds of malawi. Your aquarium is very approprite for this chiclids.( I don't know english enough)