Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Impending doom? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/impending-doom-16745/)

Bethaliz 08-02-2008 07:17 PM

Impending doom?

Molly(a female Gold Molly) and Berry (A Strawberry Tetra) seem to be doing well. They swim around, very energetically, and play with one another. They are a pleasure to watch. The only thing is I never see Berry (the Tetra) eat. Molly is use to the routine and circles the area of the tank where I deposit the food when it's time for feeding, as it's typically at the same time every day. but I Berry doesn't. Not that it's terrbile disturbing. But I don't see her come up to eat at all. How long can they go without eating? Should I be worried? Am I just missing her eat?

Actually, she spends a lot of time by the filter, is it normal? Like she swims around and plays games with Molly, but when she's not, she hangs around the back of the tank?

PDXfishy 08-02-2008 08:33 PM

Here are three golden rules:

1. Don't give your fish names. They are no dogs. Anthromorphizing fish keeps you from seeing your aquarium as the near autonomous eco system that it should be.

2. Tetras belong in a shoal. That's why yours is miserable. The same applies to your molly even though the can do fine as pairs or in small groups.

3. Get an introductory book on fish keeping and learn about your aquarium's needs before buying anything.

:)

okiemavis 08-02-2008 09:03 PM

There's a difference between anthropomorphizing fish and imputing them with personality. I've certainly kept fish that have come to recognize me personally and have their own individual personalities and behaviors. It is absolutely not an autonomous ecosystem. Fish are aware of us, learn to come to the surface when feeding, etc. They react when we walk by and are quite aware of our existence. While I don't name fish, there's no reason not to, and there's certainly no need to state this as a 'rule'. I don't see why naming a fish would alter a person's ability to care for it.

PDX is right about shoaling, tetras should be in groups of 6+, otherwise they'll be very nervous, and shy, which is why yours is often hiding.

I'm not sure why you need a book. There's plenty of great resources on here and all across the web. If you want a reference book, go ahead and get one, but I've found that even books can be inaccurate. I always gather my information from as many different sources as possible.

SheyFirestar 08-02-2008 09:16 PM

i have to disagree with rule number one. i mean just because its a mini eco system doesnt mean i cant name my kuhli loaches after characters from flcl (fooley cooley). so what if i cant tell them apart i just call out our their names when im looking for them. i find that if i cant give them a proper name they die and thats just sad. like i cant even bury them proper because i got nothing for the headstone.

also if youve read her other posts she just starting into the hobby take it easy. not everyone knows what they are getting into before they start trying to keep fish. and if your unlucky enough to go to a chain store they wont inform you of all the things you need to do. shes trying to keep her fish alive through the cycle. i understand trying to inform her that her fish would do better in groups but its not like she can do anything about that at the moment.

Tyyrlym 08-02-2008 10:00 PM

Couldn't disagree on #1 more.

Try the library if you need a book when you're starting out. While there can be good info in them it's not typically the kind of info you are going to need to keep around permanently.

Ashkat 08-03-2008 12:07 AM

Rule #1

Don't let people on the internet tell you what to do. :)

Seriously, take what you find here with a grain of salt and compare it with other resources.

Now, you said your tetra is spending a lot of time near the filter, could she be picking small bits of leftover food off the intake when you are not around? She may be less timid and afraid when you're not there, and that might be why you don't see her feeding.

Obviously the "school of tetra' posters above don't remember from your other posts that your current tank is about two gallons. You can't have her in a school right now, until you get your bigger tank, so you're just going to be making the best of it. You are on the right track by watching her behavior and taking notes on what she is doing and how she is responding.

Ash

Bethaliz 08-03-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashkat
Rule #1

Don't let people on the internet tell you what to do. :)

Seriously, take what you find here with a grain of salt and compare it with other resources.

Now, you said your tetra is spending a lot of time near the filter, could she be picking small bits of leftover food off the intake when you are not around? She may be less timid and afraid when you're not there, and that might be why you don't see her feeding.

Obviously the "school of tetra' posters above don't remember from your other posts that your current tank is about two gallons. You can't have her in a school right now, until you get your bigger tank, so you're just going to be making the best of it. You are on the right track by watching her behavior and taking notes on what she is doing and how she is responding.

Ash

Thanks for the reasurance. I did get a bunch of books out from the Library and am reading them. I had no idea about shoals etc when I got the fish. I just picked the ones that the store had that looked nice. Considering that 5 out of the 7 fish I've tried have died, I'm happy to have these two still alive and kicking (or should I say swimming).

I do only have a 2 gallon tank. I'm working on getting a bigger one when I get paid at the end of the week. One question I have is......Should I just keep these guys in the 2 gallon and do a fishless cycle on the new one, or will these guys do better in the bigger tank and I should just move them and do a fish cycle?

I guess for now with Berry, as long as she's actually swimming around and acting like a fish, I'll try not o get too concerned. She does come out and play and she seems to enjoy interacting with Molly. So if she doesn't come out from the filter, then maybe I'll get concerned.

As for naming them, I have neices and they think it's cool. And so do I. It doesn't change anything about their care.

Flashygrrl 08-03-2008 10:26 AM

Move em...Molly will thank you for it.

As for Berry, once the tank is cycled you can try getting some other tetras (ones that are NOT dyed) and see if he/she'll hang out with them. Just try to find out what kind of tetra Berry was before she got dyed.

PDXfishy 08-03-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

There's a difference between anthropomorphizing fish and imputing them with personality. I've certainly kept fish that have come to recognize me personally and have their own individual personalities and behaviors. It is absolutely not an autonomous ecosystem. Fish are aware of us, learn to come to the surface when feeding, etc. They react when we walk by and are quite aware of our existence. While I don't name fish, there's no reason not to, and there's certainly no need to state this as a 'rule'. I don't see why naming a fish would alter a person's ability to care for it.
Okay, name your fish if you want, they probably don't mind. ;) But unfortunately, this frequently goes hand in hand with assigning human traits to the fish which they definitely don't have. For instance, I very much doubt a molly and a tetra "play" with each other. And a couple of days ago, that college kid asked if his goldfish felt lonely when he (the kid) wasn't in the room.

Quote:

Obviously the "school of tetra' posters above don't remember from your other posts that your current tank is about two gallons.
Ah, that's where the book rule kicks in...;)

SheyFirestar 08-03-2008 04:31 PM

ok so fish dont have human traits. so you dont think fish get lonely when they are the only thing to interact with in the this tiny little box of a world that we provide them? all animals have feelings/emotions. if not why would we all try so hard to bring their personality in them out by providing them with the closest thing to their natural habitat.

also the great thing about bigger tanks is that they are much more forgiving to mistakes. with just the molly in there the ammonia and nitrite levels will not be as hard to keep controlled during its cycle. the sooner you get it of course the better and happier your fish will be. and when its cycled you can slowly add that school of tetras and a new friend for molly then you will truly get to enjoy watching your fish with all their personality.