Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   age vs size angelfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/age-vs-size-angelfish-16704/)

suzscott 07-31-2008 09:43 PM

age vs size angelfish

I've searched the internet now for 2 weeks trying to find what constitutes breeding size in angelfish & found the answer of 8 - 12 months but not knowing how old my fish are that answer isn't helping.

Guess my question is, what size is the average 8 - 12 month angel? (Taking into consideration different rearing methods, water quality etc) I've seen the grading system of dime, nickel, quarter & half dollar but can't seem to put that into an age perspective.

I have 2 koi's that are sparing & lip locking etc but they are only half dollar body size and I assumed they were too young to breed.

Can anyone offer me a general rule of thumb of how large they are when they start breeding not using age?

TIA!

girlofgod 07-31-2008 10:38 PM

if they are sparring & lip-locking then they will probably spawn soon. if your water conditions are where they need to be. angels vary in size based on water condition, tank size, what type they are, etc. there are too many factors to just say "they should be THIS size". age really doesnt have anything to do with it. i mean, obviously they get BIGGER with age, but they might not be reaching maximum growth potential due to factors already listed, so you can see how it might be difficult to determine what size your fish SHOULD be when they start spawning.

with that being said, what kind of angels do you have? I have a blushing scalare that I've had for 2 years now...and she's nearly the size of my hand! but another (marble) that I have, I have had for just over a year, and he's hasnt grown nearly as much as the big one! but he's been in the same water, and fed the same as she has! and who knows how old they are...i have no clue what age I bought them at.

my mothers angels have spawned, and all i can say is, when they're ready to spawn, you will be able to notice their genitalia (egg-depositors). so just keep watching!! and good luck!!

hope this helped some. =)

okiemavis 08-01-2008 05:26 PM

GOG's correct, it's very hard to tell the age of angels. However, I'd assume that the angels you got were at least 3-4 months old, which means you can expect them to reach breeding age within 8 months. However, with behavior like that, they're probably closer to maturity.

suzscott 08-03-2008 09:45 PM

Good info, thanks to both of you for reply.

Water is fine, I probably change it too much lol

Currently have 1 large adult marble, 1 large adult black VT, 3 small black VT and 4 small koi

Love each and everyone of them as they are all unique :D

Thanks again for your kind reply!

girlofgod 08-04-2008 09:01 PM

no problem! definitely keep us updated, i would love to know when they spawn! :wink: