Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Breeding African Cichlid hybrids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/breeding-african-cichlid-hybrids-166490/)

Jorunder 04-30-2013 02:19 AM

Breeding African Cichlid hybrids

THERE ARE MANY THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BREEDING ANY AFRICAN CICHLIDS:
1) A cycled tank(Shell Dwellers need a 10-20 gallon, whereas Ornatus cichlids need a 55 -75 gallon tank.) with an established bacterial colony.
2) Hiding places. I have gotten away with treating red clay bricks and stacking them in my tank:-D. Just make sure they have hiding places.
3) Water quality: Lake Malawi cichlids require a different ph than Lake Tanganyika cichlids.
4) A heater. This is critical for not only breeding cichlids, but for keeping them alive during the temperature drops of winter and fall seasons. The water should be around 78 to 84 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on the cichlid.

NOW ONTO THE FUN STUFF:
1) Make sure that the fish you are attempting to mate are male and female. VENTING IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO SEX CICHLIDS. There are many other ways to tell the gender of specific cichlids (ie Demasoni males have dots on the anal fin) but it is always a good idea to vent them.

2) Make sure you are not trying to breed a mouth broader with an egg layer. They will not mate.

3) Put a sponge on your filter intake. The fry will get sucked into in and get pureed.

4) Keep a ratio of at least 2 females per male, because the male will beat up on them and it disperses the stress.

5) Once you have eggs or wrigglers you have a responsibility to either get rid of the young(I sell as many as I can to my lfs and use the rest as feeders) or allow them to hatch and raise them. Be warned, if you do not have space for them, it is just cruel to keep them. DO NOT RELEASE ANY FISH INTO THE WILD.

I hope I did not miss anything, since this is my first post and it would be quite embarrassing. Have fun breeding!

SeaHorse 04-30-2013 05:10 PM

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you joined us.

Tazman 04-30-2013 08:08 PM

If you are talking about Hybrids, they should never be sold, given away, traded. They eventually degrade the quality of fish available, as hybrids will breed in most cases as well.

Another reason is the unpredictable nature of their aggression.

Jorunder 05-01-2013 03:21 AM

Yes. I have very many experiences with the assorted African cichlid tanks. Good Lord, I picked up a hybrid between an acei and an ornatus and he grew to about 9 inches, but I had to donate it to a lfs because it was dominating my 50. Btw should I include my empty tanks on my profile?

Tazman 05-01-2013 09:28 AM

It is your choice but personally I would not include empty tanks unless you have them setup and running. with decorations in.

What does concern me though is the contents of your 20g tank, this is way too small for a fish already at 6" and certainly too small for a common pleco, they get to over a foot long?

Jorunder 05-02-2013 02:38 AM

It's a grow out LOL as soon as I finish making my pvc filter I'll put them in the 55 and then the 135. I have been pretty preoccupied with volunteering at my lfs and keeping up with my education, so it's been pretty difficult finding time for my hobbies. It's an undergravel pvc filter made from 3/4 inch box and these acrylic boxes from Amazon.com( ) hold my bio media. I'm getting a needlewheel pump very soon to pump water into my 2 liter bottle skimmer(60 bucks for a scrappy skimmer? I think not.) So all will work out. The tank will be ready in like 2 weeks or so.:shock:

Tazman 05-02-2013 09:10 AM

You dont need a skimmer for freshwater and an undergravel filter is a bad idea for a few reasons.

1) Ciclids like to dig and will dig it up a lot.

2) If not properly setup and maintained undergravel filters can clog and degrade water parameters very quick.

Cichlids, particularly Africans need a lot of very filtration as they are messy fish to keep.

Are you going to cycling the tank?

Jorunder 05-03-2013 03:04 AM

Lol would 7 inches of fluoride suffice, I also have large river rocks to go on top of the undergravel filter and the batteries goes on top of the river rocks. It is really to suck the poop down to the bottom for my java ferns to root in.

Jorunder 05-04-2013 01:30 AM

Sorry not batteries LOL damn spellcheck flourite I got 7 inches of that stuff