Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Post Mortum approach to Columnaris (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/post-mortum-approach-columnaris-165834/)

twocents 04-29-2013 10:45 AM

Post Mortum approach to Columnaris

Looking for suggestions on how to treat a now empty tank after a total Columnaris burn. I'm convinced this is responsible.

(side question: is this bacteria visible under a microscope? would it be free floating or attached somewhere?).

All that is left are ramshorn snails (they are also acting strange) and a lot of plants.

My plan of action: "nuke" the tank with anti biotics. Doubling doses, switching meds the next round and doubling them (with intermittent water changes.) Once I feel or think I've done enough, simply let the tank sit and run for a long time, with water changes.

any ideas will be welcome.

I think it may well be fall before I try fish again, probably some poor benighted platy. If the tank continues to 'erupt', I may well tear the tank down and totally nuke it with bleach. (sadly, have to toss the plants, and may have to toss the aquariapure.. egads!!) Hopefully it will not come to that. (may proceed with a difference angle, but that is off topic).

I also have an aquariapure filter: I have emailed the guy who makes them, I am not planning on removing it or doing anything spectacular with it, I don't think I can.

Chesh 05-03-2013 09:13 AM

I am SO sorry to hear you've had to deal with this. Some strains of Columnaris are vicious and really difficult to get rid of. What meds are you using to treat the tank? You'll need something that will hit both gram negative and positive bacteria. I've known people to use Kanamycin (Kanaplex) and Furan 2 with decent results. I think your idea of medicating the tank and letting it run fish-free for a while is really the only option aside from a full tank breakdown and bleaching. . . :(

twocents 05-03-2013 10:03 AM

I will have to try the kenaplex (kanamycyin). I am using furan 2 at the moment. When I have to go home, I have to do a 25% water change and I'll medicate again.
This is a scenario that is going to take a long time to play out totally. I think it may well take the better part of a year before I think I'm totally in the clear. From what I've read about this bug it never seems to go away, ever. I suspect the ba**d lays low and once the fish are stressed in any way, it will re-emerge. This probably accounts for the people tearing tanks down totally, bleaching the youknowwhatsis out of them, and starting over. That is ultimately what I think I'll end up doing.
I'll try and keep this thread going.
thanks.
of course, I could be wrong about the bug, what it is.

Romad 05-03-2013 10:59 AM

Personally, I'd go with the tank tear down and bleach solution. On the plus side, you get to start from scratch with a new setup.

Sorry that you had to deal with that :(

twocents 05-03-2013 11:00 AM

thanks.
if I do end up tearing it down, there is going to be a major overhaul as I'd like to get a 75 gallon to replace the 20 gallon and the 10 gallon.

Romad 05-03-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocents (Post 1952682)
thanks.
if I do end up tearing it down, there is going to be a major overhaul as I'd like to get a 75 gallon to replace the 20 gallon and the 10 gallon.

Nice :thumbsup:

Love my 75 gallon :)

Chesh 05-03-2013 12:16 PM

I know this is something I'd be super worried about forever if I didn't do a teardown - you're right, it's one of those really nasty illnesses that seem to lie in wait forever. 75g sounds good to MEE!!