Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Did I buy snails? Nope! Where did they come from? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/did-i-buy-snails-nope-where-16581/)

inspiringmind 07-27-2008 07:24 PM

Did I buy snails? Nope! Where did they come from?

My only thought is that I bought a live plant from Wally world and in the plant there were little tiny baby snails. I now have at least 3 (that I can count) in my tank. Is that okay? Will it throw off the balance of my tank? What do they eat? Oh my, have I been starving them? (poor things)

Alf 07-27-2008 07:32 PM

they defiately came i on your plant. they dont cause any damage when you have 3 but they are very prolific breeders and you will soon have more... thousands more. but they eat algea and left over food and will eventually eat your plant

Flashygrrl 07-27-2008 07:34 PM

In other words....squish em. Unless you like having thousands of snails and no plants.

Little-Fizz 07-27-2008 07:35 PM

Re: Did I buy snails? Nope! Where did they come from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by inspiringmind
Oh my, have I been starving them? (poor things)

:lol: You won't be thinking "poor things" once they start to destroy your plants. I have those suckers too. I can't bring myself to kill them either. I just plop them in my ten gallon with no plants and let them fend for themselves

inspiringmind 07-27-2008 07:41 PM

One is near the top...I must hurry and try to get at least two of them out!!

inspiringmind 07-27-2008 07:47 PM

Do they know you are coming and hide? I got one anyways.

Little-Fizz 07-27-2008 07:50 PM

No? You'll have better luck putting a piece of lettuce on the bottom of your tank and taking it out tomorrow. The snails should be on it.

inspiringmind 07-27-2008 07:54 PM

I looked in the cup where I found the one and guess what? It was really two of them! They were doing it already, whew, I was THAT close to having a few hundred snails in my tank. I think there is only one left in the tank, but I will keep an eye out of it over the next few days.

onefish2fish 07-27-2008 09:50 PM

snails are hermaphadites (sp?) which means they are asexual. that means it takes one! and this means it will soon be 20 then 70 then 900 if you get the picture. they usually also lay small clear sticky egg pouches on the glass, plant leaves,gravel, and any decorations in your tank, thus making them hard to find and soon more snails will pop up. whatever you do, do for your snail problem, i suggest not using any "snail concoctions" because your live plants probally will get vaporized overnight. i do however suggest plucking those suckers out everytime you see one, getting some clown loaches ( if your tank is BIG enough to support them ) because there good for keeping the snail population down, getting a killer snail ( dont know the scientific name or if there sold at LFS ) or even a freshwater puffer... otherwise plan on having snails for the life of the tank.

Flashygrrl 07-28-2008 05:16 AM

Never advise someone to just get one clown loach...they hate being alone (I think all loaches do). Generally you need at least 6-8 of them....and a 75 gallon tank.