Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello tank fanatics (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hello-tank-fanatics-165794/)

Eldamo 04-29-2013 08:39 AM

Hello tank fanatics

Hi - I've just joined this great community after lurking for a few weeks. I've had a 16g bow front fish tank for 5 or 6 years with varying success. I love watching the little guys swimming around and always wanted a bigger tank, but not until I became more disciplined at testing and changing the water. I'm ashamed to say I've lost my fair share of fish due to bad water quality.

I've now become more disciplined and increased my knowledge of fish keeping. I have upgraded to a 55g that I've started to plant - the 16g is plastic plants and Dora mermaids that my 5 year old daughter loves to buy! Currently I have some java fern, jungle val, amazon sword and moneywort and want to fill it up once I know what grows and what doesn't.

I have a few fish in the 16g - red eye tetra, platy, pleco and black skirt tetra. The 55g is still cycling but my daughter is getting impatient for fish! I'll probably use the two platys to speed things up as I know they are hardy and were born in my 16g tank which has had fluctuating water quality.

I'm finding lots of helpful information in the forums and will post questions if I have any.

Chesh 04-29-2013 10:54 AM

Hi, Eldamo!!! I'm so happy that you've decided to come out of the forum shadows and join our crazy bunch here! We've all had to learn the discipline needed to keep our babies healthy - it sounds like you're well on your way to a happy and thriving 55g tank! VERY EXCITING!!! You'll find it much easier to keep things stable in a bigger tank, it's going to be a lot of fun (and a whole new learning experience) for you! I hope you stick around to share your experiences with us. :)

Eldamo 04-29-2013 12:07 PM

Thanks Chesherca!

It's reassuring to know a big tank will be easier to keep balanced. I'm really looking forward to filling my tank with fish and plants.

I know along the way I'll have questions so I'll be around.

Boredomb 04-29-2013 07:20 PM

Hi Eldamo and welcome to Tropical fish keeping.

Just remember the bigger the tank the more water volume so more volume to dilute the bad stuff but that all goes out the window if one overstocks a tank.

Eldamo once again Welcome and I hope you enjoy it here.

Eldamo 04-29-2013 08:36 PM

Thanks for the welcome Boredomb. I'll keep the fish to a minimum and I prefer the smaller varieties so hopefully overstocking won't be a problem. I'll be back for some stocking tips later once the tank is ready. I've never thought of shrimp before so really interested in these little critters at the moment and doing some more research.

eaturbyfill 05-10-2013 02:21 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! :D

Eldamo 05-11-2013 07:08 AM

Hi eaturbyfill - thanks for the welcome. I've been here a few weeks now and have been made to feel very welcome.

Hope to see you around.