Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Is this a Cichild? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/cichild-165714/)

Sylvi 04-29-2013 05:35 AM

Is this a Cichild?

1 Attachment(s)
Can someone pls help me out and tell me what fish this is?
My Ex housemate left it behind in the spare room about 6 months ago. It must be a hardy fish as I really only fed it about once a week.
I finally decided to make an effort and brought out the fish tank to the main living space, put some plants in, replaced the filters, light and thought I'd get it some mates but it eat 3 Neons almost straight away, it just picked on the other 2 Molly's so I got 5 fan tails tho I hate gold fish but wanted to distract it from bullying the Molly's. By the second day ALL the fan tails had their fins chewed and I saw the last remaining Molly follow and pick on them so I got rid of the Molly.
A week later.....only IT remains :shock:
IT has also started to change into this pretty orange color but thats probably coz I got the light fixed in the tank:oops:
ANyhoow, if someone could pls enlighten me on what it is and what kind of fish I can place in with it? The tank is not big.

Thank you;-)

djembekah 04-29-2013 06:58 AM

All i can tell you is that goldfish should definitely NOT be kept with cichlids.
Posted via Mobile Device

Captain Jim Dandy 04-29-2013 07:23 AM

That is a Jewel cichlid. Yes, they are carniverous, and they get meaner when they have a mate.

fish monger 04-29-2013 07:29 AM

Not the biggest of cichlids but, it can be pretty nasty. I wouldn't keep anything with them except larger cichlids.

ZivaD 04-29-2013 08:14 AM

You mentioned that the tank is not big - what size is the tank? That will be helpful in determining whether it is suited even for this little fish and/or in advising as to the addition of any possible tankmates.

Sylvi 04-29-2013 08:14 AM

Right, Jeweled it is than.....so what are the bigger Cichilds?

Sylvi 04-29-2013 08:22 AM

Yeah, the fish is the size of a thumb but the tank.....I'm not really sure as it was left with me and I've never kept fish before.
Its not a fish bowl, I can fit a few plants an ornament, the heating ....thing and it has 3 filter sections running length vise at the back. The first has a sponge, the one next to it bags of charcoal and final one has some weird looking balls with the pump.

ZivaD 04-29-2013 08:27 AM

You may find the profile for this fish to be helpful Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus ) Profile
As for the tank - if you provide the dimensions we can calculate the size for you - but from your description it is not sounding good as you will read in the profile that a minimum 48 inch long tank and it does not seem that is what you are describing thus far. Perhaps you can post a photo of the aquarium so we can see better what it is you are describing.

mcompagno 05-02-2013 07:30 PM

As long as you don't have more than one then you can keep a jewel in a fairly small tank. Two jewels require at least a 30 inch long tank, male, female or whatever:)

Trust me, they are very territorial.

Great fish, will greet you when you approach the tank with food.