Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Bought set-up planted tank. NPT? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/bought-set-up-planted-tank-npt-165121/)

Deanna01 04-28-2013 02:24 PM

Bought set-up planted tank. NPT?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, all. I bought a completely set-up heavily planted aquarium last night. I am new to fishkeeping, though, and am a bit daunted. I am trying to learn all I can in order not to mess up. Is there a way to tell if an aquarium is an NPT versus simply a planted aquarium? How? Here is a pic.

MoneyMitch 04-28-2013 02:44 PM

NPT is as low light and little to no addition of ferts.

Olympia 04-28-2013 02:52 PM

Generally NPT refers to soil based tanks.

MoneyMitch 04-28-2013 03:20 PM

As close to a closed Eco system as u can get
Posted via Mobile Device

ao 04-28-2013 03:49 PM

that tank looks great!
^_^
If it has a soil base layer it is a NPT

Deanna01 04-28-2013 04:05 PM

Thank you! I suspect it is a fancy substrate of some kind rather than actual soil. I suppose it doesn't make a big difference to the care, though.

Byron 04-28-2013 05:38 PM

I can't tell from the photo if there are two layers to the substrate, such as is a layer of soil at the bottom with a layer of gravel over it. As you are there, see if you can distinguish two clear "layers" in the substrate. If not, and the "gravel" I can see on the top goes all the way down, it might be an enriched substrate. Or just plain gravel.

Any chance you can ask the person you bought it from? Also ask what if any fertilizers they were using. That is quite a nice aquascape.:-)

Byron.

Deanna01 04-28-2013 06:28 PM

I texted him. He said it is Fluorite Black.Seachem. Flourite Black

He said he used to "bake small balls from red clay" for the roots and had some root tablets.

earthgirl 04-28-2013 06:50 PM

Nice looking tank.

Byron 04-28-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanna01 (Post 1906777)
I texted him. He said it is Fluorite Black.Seachem. Flourite Black

He said he used to "bake small balls from red clay" for the roots and had some root tablets.

OK, now we are getting somewhere. I had a tank set up with this same substrate, Flourite Black; in my tank is looked a bit more gray than brown as it does here, but I suspect that is the light, you have a warmer white tube than I use. Flourite had very minimal benefit for my plants on its own, and I had to resort to fertilizers the same as my other plain sand and gravel tanks. And he has been using substrate tabs too, so that checks out.

Seachem's Flourish Tabs are what I use. API make one too, but from what other members here have posted they have issues so I would use the Seachem. You will also need a liquid fertilizer to provide the nutrients not taken up by roots but via the leaves. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is my choice, once a week and a day after the water change.

One other nutrient source is the tap water; do you know the GH? This is the major source of the hard minerals (calcium, magnesium).

Byron.